week 12

Coach Cane

Oct 1, 2012, 2:20:26 PM10/1/12
to jackrabbit-sports---nyc...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on getting through your first 20-miler.  Here's the
plan for this week:

We're going to continue our focus on quality miles on Tuesday.  We'll
begin at an easy pace counterclockwise on the lower loop.  From there
we'll do 30 minutes of "Strawberry Fields" loops and then a cooldown
back to the start.  The Strawberry fields loop begins at 74th St.
along the west drive.  Head up the exit ramp to the top of the hill,
over the top and down the other side, then make a left and go back
along the west drive to the start of the hill.  Don't treat this as a
brutal hill repeat workout, but rather as a continuous, rolling loop.
Focus on form - drive with your arms, head up, lifting your knees.
***Remember that you will be crossing the main drive during this run. Please
don't endanger yourself or anyone else by running against traffic (except in the rec
lane) or crossing without checking first.***

As for the weekend, as previously mentioned, you're strongly
encouraged to race the Staten Island Half Marathon on Sunday,
in lieu of the group run. Nonetheless, we will have the regularly
scheduled run for those of you who are unable to make it on Sunday.
The run will be - surprise! - a hard 13.1 miles.  Doing a half
marathon one month out is a popular strategy because it gives us a gauge of
your fitness as well as a challenging workout.  Over the last few
weeks we've been talking more about marathon goal pace, and once we
see what you can do at a half marathon, we'll get a better idea of
what's realistic for double the distance.

After all these weeks of constantly reminding you that your long training runs should
be done slower than MGP, this week we're letting go of the reins. You are encouraged
to really race the Half. Hopefully we'll see a time around 30 seconds per mile faster than
your MGP, otherwise we need to reconsider your MGP. Next week we'll do one last long run before
your taper, and there, once again you will be urged to train at MGP + :30/mile.  Remember that the goal
is for everything to come together on race day - not in Central Park during a random run in September
or October. So go run hard on Sunday (or Saturday if you can't make it to SI), but remember not to exceed
the prescribed speed on other long runs.

In addition to the group workouts, here's what i'd like you to do
this
week:
M: rest
T: group
W: easy 3.5-6, preferably on soft surface.  x-training is acceptable
Th: easy 4-7.
F: rest
Sa: 13.1 with group OR easy 3 miles if not racing.
Su: easy 3 mile recovery jog OR race