[izpack-user] Problem with panels jar not in staging dir when needed (maven plugin) - need two pom.xml files?

GizzPack

Dec 15, 2008, 6:50:11 PM12/15/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I am using the sample pom.xml provided in the maven plugin example, and I get the following error (can not find .jar - this is the jar with the compiled panels).

This is one of those many manual processes I had mentioned before, but just now getting to follow up.  There is something about the sample pom.xml that is not putting the izpack-1.0.jar into the target directory or the staging area.

I mentioned before that it took two pom.xml files (pom.xml and pom-izpack.xml and a build script calling both in that order for this to work).

Am I using this wrong?  Do I need one pom.xml file to build izpack-1.0.jar and put into the target/ dir  and then another  pom-izpack.xml and then run $mvn -f pom-izpack.xml ?

I look in the sample pom.xml and I am not sure at what point it is supposed to build izpack-1.0.jar or at what point it needs it for another process.

thanks for the help

--- error I am getting with the sample pom

Embedded error: c:\home\projects\product\trunk\module\izpack\izpack\staging\install.xml:182: Jar file not found: c:\home\projects\product\trunk\module\izpack\izpack\staging\izpack-1.0.jar
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: IzPack compilation ERROR
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor
.java:564)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycl
eExecutor.java:493)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.
java:463)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultL

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 1:47:33 AM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I am guessing you are using <jar> element in install.xml.
if so, your pom.xml will need to copy your izpack---xyz.jar to the
place that <jar> tag expected.

what is izpack-1.0.jar ??? dependency of your project, and a jar built
by your pom?

i have feeling you are learning both maven and izpack at the same time.

-Dan

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 4:13:54 AM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
ok, i updated the sample example to show how to use maven to prepare
for izpack's jar tag.
Check the plugin's site again

-D

GizzPack

Dec 16, 2008, 12:23:22 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I know maven, just not the plethora of plugins that it comes with and the many, many options it has for each plugin.  However both would be easier to work with if there were better documentation.  I am working on better documentation for both.  Examples that work are also helpful as you can learn from a working example in 10x less time than pouring over a description of how it works (as compared to seeing actually how it works in action).

izpack-1.0.jar was supposed to be all my panels that I compiled prior to running $mvn izpack:izpack

thanks

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 1:31:24 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
dont run izpack:izpack at command line but make it part of maven
build thru the pom.xml. Are you studing the sample project i have
been cranking out for you?

-D

GizzPack

Dec 16, 2008, 1:46:21 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
yes I have studied the sample pom.  So I need a single pom file for each panel I develop? and a separate project for each custom panel so like:
  MyFirstPanelProject/src/main/java/com/izforge/izpack/panels/MyFirstPanel.java

and another project for the second custom panel like
  MySecondPanelProject/src/main/java/com/izforge/izpack/panels/MySceondPanel.java

because looking at the architecture of existing panels there is one jar file for each .java file so I am assuming we need the same for our custom panels.

thanks

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 2:53:31 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
you dont need each for each panel, just build all panel related class
into one jar and use maven-jar-plugin to repackage them thru multiple
execution. See example

-D

GizzPack

Dec 16, 2008, 4:42:34 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
What do I call the jar with all the panels? I can not choose the name of the jar because of IzPack requirements and I can not pack all the panels into a single jar because of IzPack requirements.

The izpack documentation says that I need a single jar for each panel and the jar name has to be the same name as the panel so for example if MyPanel.java is the file name then I need a jar called "MyPanel.jar" and I need one jar for each one of them.

If I have only 1 jar with all panels compiled in them and try to run, I get the following error when building:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] IzPack compilation ERROR

Embedded error: c:\home\projects\product\module\izpack\izpack\target\staging\install.xml:
63: Panel jar file not found: c:\home\projects\product\module\izpack\izpack\target\staging\bin\panels\HiddenProcessPanel.jar
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: IzPack compilation ERROR
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor
.java:564)

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 5:56:43 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
i meant use maven-jar-plugin to repackage the classes into multiple
custom panels jars.

The example gives you no hint? or you are just under stress? :-)

good luck

-D

GizzPack

Dec 16, 2008, 6:21:08 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I'm under time limits.

Working examples provide a 10X productivity gain over googling and reading documentation.  In this case the documentation is sparse so even if I found it, would not provide much of what I need.  The first thing is to know what documentation to look for (what tool).

I will post some examples if I get them working.  It will be a late night.  It would be ideal to have the maven-izpack plugin create all the artifacts that izpack needs to build the single installer jar.  This is a task that every user will have to repeat for themselves.  If I get the time, will checkout the maven / izpack plugin code and modify to automate these tasks.

Every company should provide their employees with a portion of hours each week for which they can dedicate to improving open source I think (like 8-10 hrs a week would be great - I have so many project that I could work on).

Dan Tran

Dec 16, 2008, 6:54:02 PM12/16/08
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
please do jump in to help out with the plugin, it is still alpha mode.

-D