[izpack-user] Izpack backward compatibility (4.2.1 -> 4.3.1)

Mitchel99

Oct 26, 2009, 10:46:45 AM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org

Hi all,

I'm using izpack-maven-plugin version 1.0-alpha-5 to create my custom
installer. Every thing works fine with version 4.2.1 of
izpack-standalone-compiler, but when I try to upgrade to version 4.3.1, I
have the following error:

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: IzPack compilation
ERROR
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:583)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:499)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:478)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:330)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:291)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:142)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
at
at
at
at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: IzPack
compilation ERROR
at org.izpack.mojo.IzPackMojo.buildInstaller(IzPackMojo.java:256)
at org.izpack.mojo.IzPackMojo.execute(IzPackMojo.java:162)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:451)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:558)
... 16 more
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This parser does not
support specification "null" version "null"
at
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.setXIncludeAware(SAXParserFactory.java:390)
at com.izforge.izpack.adaptator.impl.XMLParser.<init>(Unknown
Source)
at com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.getXMLTree(Unknown
Source)
at
com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.executeCompiler(Unknown Source)
at org.izpack.mojo.IzPackMojo.buildInstaller(IzPackMojo.java:247)
... 19 more

Following is the associated extract of the pom where I make references to
the izpack-standalone-compiler:

<plugin>
<groupId>org.codehaus.izpack</groupId>
<artifactId>izpack-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>1.0-alpha-5</version>
<!-- TODO Check dependencies -->
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.codehaus.izpack</groupId>
<artifactId>izpack-standalone-compiler</artifactId>
<version>${izpack-standalone.version}</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
<configuration>
<izpackBasedir>${staging.dir}</izpackBasedir>
<customPanelDirectory>${staging.dir}</customPanelDirectory>
<installerFile>${izpack-installer-filename}</installerFile>
</configuration>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>standard-installer</id>
<phase>package</phase>
<goals>
<goal>izpack</goal>
</goals>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.codehaus.izpack</groupId>
<artifactId>izpack-standalone-compiler</artifactId>
<version>${izpack-standalone.version}</version>
<optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

I would really appreciate if you could help me fix this issue.

Cheers,
Mitchel.

Dan Tran

Oct 26, 2009, 11:10:02 AM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
Hi Mitchel,

I make a quick attempt run the src/it/sample with izpack 4.3.1, and
not able to produce the error your see.

So the error is likely the izpack configuration on this error

> Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This parser does not
> support specification "null" version "null"
> at
> javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.setXIncludeAware(SAXParserFactory.java:390)
> at com.izforge.izpack.adaptator.impl.XMLParser.<init>(Unknown
> Source)
> at com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.getXMLTree(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> com.izforge.izpack.compiler.CompilerConfig.executeCompiler(Unknown Source)
> at org.izpack.mojo.IzPackMojo.buildInstaller(IzPackMojo.java:247)

2 suggestion:

1. Fix up use izpack-maven-plugin-1.0-apha-6-SNAPSHOT to use
izpack 4.3.1 by default
and use it with your app to see if the plugin is the main cause.

2. see if you can trouble shoot your configuration and make a
producible maven project for us to look at.

Thanks

-Dan

Mitchel99

Oct 26, 2009, 1:56:43 PM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help.

For suggestion 1, I haven't found the
izpack-maven-plugin-1.0-apha-6-SNAPSHOT on the web repositories, but indeed
it would have been complicated since I'm using maven release plugin
(shnapshot not allowed).

I have reproduce the bug using the online example with izpack 4.3.1. Indeed,
it seems that there are some dependecies issues. For instance, if you add
the following dependency in the example, the bug appears:
<dependency>
<groupId>jboss</groupId>
<artifactId>jboss-common</artifactId>
<version>4.0.2</version>
<scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>

I need it to compile my project. Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Mitchel.

Dan Tran

Oct 26, 2009, 4:30:27 PM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
Hi Mitchel,

I am able to reproduce your issue. And It is not the plugin's issue.
And It has something to do when you introduce jboss artfifact.

Looks like jboss-commons interferes with xml parser that comes with izpack

-Dan

Dan Tran

Oct 26, 2009, 4:37:55 PM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
I think the transitive dependency of xcerses from jboss-common cause
error, put it on exclusion list helps

<dependency>
<groupId>jboss</groupId>
<artifactId>jboss-common</artifactId>
<version>4.0.2</version>
<scope>compile</scope>

<exclusions>
<exclusion>
<groupId>xerces</groupId>
<artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
</exclusion>
</exclusions>
</dependency>

Try that.

So this the class loader issue between izpack and jboss-comm. Ant
build will run into the same issue.

-Dan

6footplus

Oct 26, 2009, 4:42:04 PM10/26/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org

I've had a similar problem with the same exception message. It was due to a
transitive xercesImpl dependency. After determining where the dependency
came from (see mvn dependency:tree), I excluded it as follows:

<dependency>
<groupId>some.groupId</groupId>
<artifactId>some.acrtifact.with.xerces.dependency</artifactId>

<exclusions>
<exclusion>
<groupId>xerces</groupId>
<artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
</exclusion>
</exclusions>
</dependency>

Regards,

Andreas

Mitchel99

Oct 27, 2009, 5:18:48 AM10/27/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org

Hi Dan,

Could it be possible to make it works in the other sense?

In fact, if I exclude this transitive dependency from jboss-common, lots of
errors appear in my application (which are quite impossilbe to solve...). So
I would like to know if it could be possible to solve this issue from Izpack
side?

If not, I will keep old release of Izpack (4.2.1).

Cheers,
Mitchel.

Dan Tran

Oct 27, 2009, 2:50:52 PM10/27/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
Best is to file a JIRA with izpack and stay with 4.2.1 until it is fixed

-Dan

Dan Tran

Oct 28, 2009, 12:57:49 AM10/28/09
to us...@izpack.codehaus.org
add this to your depedencies or dependencyManagement

<dependency>

<groupId>xerces</groupId>
<artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>

<version>2.9.1</version>
</dependency>

to override the one come with jboss, will solve the issue.

Good luck

-Dan