Singolare o plurale?

edevils

Dec 2, 2011, 7:26:39 AM12/2/11
Quale vi suona meglio?

"Neither my children or my husband like my cooking."

"Neither my children or my husband likes my cooking."

Nuras

Dec 2, 2011, 8:17:26 AM12/2/11

"edevils" <use_reply...@devils.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Quale vi suona meglio?
>
> "Neither my children or my husband like my cooking."
>
> "Neither my children or my husband likes my cooking."

the first one

my children or my husband = they
so they like my cooking.

perchè singolare o plurale? like è un verbo, e prende la s finale solo nella
terza persona singolare.

Joe from NY

Dec 2, 2011, 8:36:34 AM12/2/11
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:17:26 -0500, Nuras wrote
(in article <jbaj50$b7v$1...@tdi.cu.mi.it>):

> perchè singolare o plurale? like è un verbo, e prende la s finale solo nella
> terza persona singolare.

Isn't the question whether to use the third person singular or the third
person plural? Hence: "Singolare o plurale?"

--
Joey from New York
Remember: It is To Laugh

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator,
but among those whom I love, I can:
all of them make me laugh.
   -- WH Auden

Joe from NY

Dec 2, 2011, 8:35:23 AM12/2/11
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:26:39 -0500, edevils wrote
(in article
<60dfbfec-b7fc-49fa...@u6g2000vbg.googlegroups.com>):

> Quale vi suona meglio?
>
> "Neither my children or my husband like my cooking."
>
> "Neither my children or my husband likes my cooking."

It sounds awkward with 'or' instead of 'nor' following 'neither,' but the
first version is my choice. If you reversed the elements of the compound
sentence (my children and my husband) it would probably be more obvious:

Neither my husband nor my children like my cooking.

edevils

Dec 2, 2011, 10:51:22 AM12/2/11
On Dec 2, 2:17 pm, "Nuras"
[...]
> my children or my husband = they

Not according to traditional grammars.

QUOTE
Simply take the noun closest to the verb and ensure they agree. So
“Neither the men nor the woman is a good surfer” is correct, as is
“Neither the woman nor the men are good surfers.”
UNQUOTE
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/when-to-use-nor.aspx

But, yes, I guess modern usage is more like Joe said.

edevils

Dec 2, 2011, 11:01:50 AM12/2/11
On Dec 2, 2:35 pm, Joe from NY

> It sounds awkward with 'or' instead of 'nor' following 'neither,'

My mistake! >:-(

Tony The Ice Man

Dec 2, 2011, 12:34:33 PM12/2/11
I would agree with the cited grammar.

Neither my children nor my husband likes my cooking.
Neither my husband nor my children like my cooking.

In addition,
Both my children and my husband like my cooking.
Both my husband and my children like my cooking.

I would add that the phraseology is complex enough that in engaged
conversation the sentence might come out either way. But this is how you
should write it if you are writing anything formal.

army1987

Dec 4, 2011, 12:17:51 PM12/4/11
Se non ricordo male, le grammatiche tradizionalmente dicevano che
"neither" vuole il verbo singolare nonostante in realtà in linguaggio
informale (e non solo) il verbo al plurale è abbastanza comune.

--
Vuolsi così colà dove si puote
ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare.

reby...@gmail.com