Re: [IslandRoutes] Francisco Da Silva Canario

Salli Souza James

Aug 8, 2012, 11:40:52 AM8/8/12
to Island...@googlegroups.com
My Great Aunt Ida's daughter married a Frank (Francisco Canario)  They had a daughter named Marie/Cissy  She was born a Freitas, then she became a Canario.  They lived in Oakland/San Leandro.

I don’t know if that helps you but worth a try.  :P

Salli Souza

From: cindy <disneyc...@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:29 PM
To: "Island...@googlegroups.com" <Island...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [IslandRoutes] Francisco Da Silva Canario

Hi everyone, I just joined this group.I am working on my DH family tree.

I am trying to find out more information on Francisco Da Silva Canario

I believe:

He came to Hawaii form Portugal with his wife Filamina & daughter Maria, on board the SS Bell Rock in 1883.

In the 1900 census he is living in Hilo with his wife and children
Maria
Joe
Kiurubine (?)
John
Manuel

The family then moved to Oakland, CA about 1905.

In the 1910 census they are all in at (one address) oakland but Kurubine.
Francisco
Minnie
Joe
John
Manuel

Maria Da Silva (Phillips)
DH- John Martin Phillips
Manuel
Joe
Minnie

Shortly after this census, Filamena dies. Francisco goes to Portugal and marries Hortense Rego. They return to California in 1912.

Frank has 3 more Children with his new wife and dies about 1922.

Salli Souza James

Aug 8, 2012, 7:17:01 PM8/8/12
to Island...@googlegroups.com
Okay, Well I have that side of the family if you need it.  We are cousins, well DH is :P

Salli Souza

Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:10 AM
To: "Island...@googlegroups.com" <Island...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "Island...@googlegroups.com" <Island...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [IslandRoutes] Francisco Da Silva Canario

Salli,

Thank for the response.

Yes, my DH grandfather was Frank Canario and his Grandmother was Marie Freitas. Francisco Canario is Frank's father. :)

~Cindy
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/islandroutes/-/JzgzF-GfLUMJ.

Salli Souza James

Aug 10, 2012, 2:06:02 AM8/10/12
to Island...@googlegroups.com
My Dad could tell you a ton.  We live in Stockton.  Funny when something comes up like this… He starts telling all his stories.  I love to hear them as he is so good at details.

I couldn't get into your family tree link :(

I will try to copy and paste mine for you.

Hugs,
Salli

From: cindy <disneyc...@hotmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:56 PM
To: "Island...@googlegroups.com" <Island...@googlegroups.com>

Salli,

I am so excited that we have a match!!

My Dh and I would love to hear ALL about the Freitas side of the family.

We do have a Freitas family tree on Ancestry... that we have been working on for the last few years. It would be great to be able to compare information.

~Cindy & Mike
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/islandroutes/-/Y4oFeXWEpUwJ.

George Nelson

Aug 11, 2012, 1:01:22 AM8/11/12
to chat group
Cindy,  the 1890 Kingdom of Hawaii (Hilo District 3A) has Francisco de Silver,  laborer, 35 yrs old.  Philomena  30 yrs old.  laborer.  had 7 children, 3 are living and listed.  the three are Maria, Joe and John   Do you have the Sao Miguel passport registration info from de Mello?  It gives the parents of bother francisco and Filomena.    Dan, Portuguese Genealogical and Historical Society of Hawaii

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 23:06:02 -0700

Cindy Canario

Aug 11, 2012, 11:30:37 AM8/11/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
,
Yes, that is the family I am looking for. :) I have seen this census with the family listed in Hilo. I have found that some times they are listed as "Silva" and some time they are 'Canario'?

I do not have the San Miguel passport registration.  How would I be able to get this?

Thank you for the help. ;)

~Cindy

Shirley Allegre

Aug 11, 2012, 4:06:06 PM8/11/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cindy:  This is what I found in IMMIGRATION  FROM  AZORES  TO  HAWAII 1879-1883.  The Author is Bob de Mello.
Page 74, second from top of page.

Canario, Francisco da Silva,          age 29
Parents
(Joaquim da Silva Canario X Maria Jacinta)
From:  Conceicao,  Rib. Grande
(This would be the church of Conceicao, in the village or Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island)
WIFE:
Filomena de Jesus,    age 27
(Manual da Silva X Catarina Amalia)
From:  Sao Pedro, R. Seca, Rib. Grande.
(This would be the church of Sao Pedro, in Ribeira Seca, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island)
CHILD
Maria,     age 4
Born in Ribeira Seca, Ribeira Grande

Four of my grgrandparents came over on the Bell Rock.  They are also from Sao Miguel Island.

Shirley in CA

Cindy Canario

Aug 11, 2012, 5:28:44 PM8/11/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Shirley,

Thank you so much for the information on Francisco's Family!!

Can you tell me if the book says anything about him coming with his brother or brothers? There is a Manuel Da Silva Canario & family that also came on the same ship with him. This is also a J.S. Canario in HIlo about the same time but arrived before Francisco.

~CIndy

Eliseu Manuel Pacheco da Silva

Aug 12, 2012, 7:06:18 AM8/12/12
to island...@googlegroups.com

Hi Cindy,

I hope you can access the links. May be this will help you in any way:

o Manuel do Monte Cabral Canário 1894-1943 &1915 Maria dos Anjos do Monte 1898-1972

o Maria x 1917-1923

o Alexandrina dos Ramos Cabral 1919-1994

o Guilhermina x 1920-1922

o Manuel x 1922-1923

o Manuel Cabral Canário 1925

o João Cabral Canário 1927-1989

o José Cabral Canário 1930-1946

o Manuel Cabral Canário 1930-1935

o Maria dos Anjos Canário 1932-1933

o Mariana da Conceição Canário 1932-1933

o Maria dos Anjos Cabral Canário 1934-1935

o Maria do Santo Cristo Canário 1937-1937

o Luís Canário Cabral 1941

2.

o António da Silva Canário

3.

o Francisco da Ponte Canário 1909 &1931 Gloriana de Medeiros Creador 1913

o Maria Natália de Medeiros Canário 1932 & Aristides Valério ca 1926

o Gilda de Medeiros Canário 1935 &1954 Hermano de Medeiros Algarvio 1931

o Maria da Conceição de Medeiros Canário 1941 &1959 Manuel Calouro da Silva 1939

4.

o Francisco da Silva Canário & Maria da Estrela

o Manuel da Silva Canário 1852- &1873 Maria Jacinta ca 1849-

o José da Silva Canário & Rosa Jacinta

5.

o Jacinto Algarvio Tavares Canário & Luísa Velho

o Luísa Isabel Velho Falcão Tavares Canário &1941 Jacinto de Melo Tavares 1913-

o Carlos Alberto Velho Falcão Tavares Canário de Melo ca 1949 &1967 Helena Margarida de Medeiros Silva ca 1952

o Victor Manuel Tavares Canário

o Maria Isabel Tavares Canário de Melo

o Miguel Ângelo Canário de Melo Tavares

6.

o João da Silva Canário & Maria do Espírito Santo

7.

o Laurindo da Costa Silva Canário

8.

o Leonel da Ponte Canário

Eliseu Manuel Pacheco da Silva

Aug 12, 2012, 7:10:59 AM8/12/12
to island...@googlegroups.com

Hi again,

I also have a Manuel da Costa or da Costa Canário married to a Maria Jacinta as my relatives…

Eliseu

Researching Azores, S. Miguel, Ribeira Grande, Porto Formoso and Graciosa Island

Richard Haus

Aug 12, 2012, 1:22:21 PM8/12/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

In portuguese names does anyone know the difference in meaning for like:

de costa vs da costa?

My Grandfather was Alfred de Lima Tavares.  My mother says that he never used the "de" in his name but, it was part of his legal name.  I do not know what the "de" actually means.  In recording his name and others in my tree how do I record the "de" on a site like ancestry?  I have also noticed a lot of names with Lima in the middle.

I am sure I could figure this out on google but, wanted to start a discussion.

Thanks,

Richard Haus

GGF *Manuel Gomes Francisco Morganho (b. 1833)

GGGGF *Joao Jacinto de Faria (b. Azores)
GGF *Manuel de Lima Tavares (b.1854)

robertjm

Aug 13, 2012, 12:25:40 PM8/13/12
to island...@googlegroups.com, rhau...@hotmail.com
How to record it would be personal preference, I suppose. I've got an ancestor that is Alameda or Almeida on most references. However, I also found "de Almedia" which is probably the original Portuguese way of doing things. My personal preference is to record a name from the time a person is born, with notes on any name changes along the way.
The difference between Alameda and de Almeida, other than Anglification, probably stems from the days of yore where people really didn't have last names, and so you were known by your occupation or where your family came from. In this circumstance, it was literally John, from the Poplar Trees.

As for the differences? Here's a good explanation from Yahoo answers:

de = of

Do and Da are contractions:

do = de + o = of the - masculine
O pai do Joao = Joao's father
A comida do cachorro = The dog's food

da = de + a = of the - Feminine
Ao lado da televisao. = Next to the television
A cadeira da garota = The girl's chair

Hope that helps!!

Dano

Aug 12, 2012, 10:47:03 PM8/12/12
to IslandRoutes
The difference between de/da is determined by the gender of the
"surname (not the individual)," e.g. de Sousa, da Costa. The
"meaning" of de/da is similar to the meaning of the O' in Irish
surnames. I used PAF, so the way I record names in my database is:
surname/given name/de (or, da).

Shirley Allegre

Aug 13, 2012, 4:08:57 PM8/13/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Cindy:  Here is what I found in the same book, page 363, second from top:

Silva, Eduardo da Canario      age 25
(Joaquim da Silva Canario X Maria Jacinta)
From:  Matriz of Ribeira Grande
SERVANT:
Maria Julia, age 26
(Mariano Jose X Tereza de Jesus)
from:  Porto Formoso
(They also came on the BELL ROCK.)

I also found in same book, page 74, fourth from top

Canario, Manual da Silva         age 28
(Victorino da Silva Canario X Maria da Luz)
From:  Matriz of Ribeira Grande
WIFE
Maria da Estrela       age 24
(Antonio Jose Texeira X Mara da Estrela)
CHILDREN
Guilhermina 5
Laurindo 8        (THERE IS NO LAURINDO LISTED ON THE SHIP'S PASSENGER LIST.)
Guilherme 3
Anibal (Aribal?) 14 months
All born Matriz of Ribeira Grande
(They also came on the BELL ROCK.)

Shirley Allegre

Aug 13, 2012, 4:19:40 PM8/13/12
to island...@googlegroups.com
Here is another one:

Canario, Jose da Silva            age 38
(Francisco da Silva Canario X Maria da Estrela)
From:  Matriz of Ribeira Grande
WIFE
Inacia de Jesus,   age 38
(Joao da Ponte Caralheta X Rosa Jacinta
From Conceicao, Ribeira Grande
CHILDREN
Maria,  12
Maria.   10
Jose, 8
All born Sao Pedro, Ribeira Seca, Ribenra Grande
NOTE:
Children of Rosa Jacinta and Jose
Hermina, 5
Antonia, 1