Islandora and persistent URLs question

Kevin S. Clarke

Sep 12, 2013, 1:50:09 PM9/12/13
to isla...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in finding out if anyone in the community is doing any work on implementing persistent URLs in Islandora.  By persistent URL, I just mean something that is a little more resistant to change (so doesn't embed the name of the software used in the URL pattern, etc.)

Right now, for instance, our Islandora URLs have the Drupal multisite path, the 'islandora' name, the 'object' designator, and then the namespaced ID of our item; for instance: /dep/tahrir/islandora/object/edu.ucla.library.dep.tahrir%3A256 ... if you don't have a multisite, you still have the "islandora/object" in the path: http://sandbox7.islandora.ca/islandora/object/islandora%3A64

I was wondering about having a unique ID (Archival Resource Key or other form) in the metadata record and that being used to resolve the object page.  I think UNT (though not an Islandora site) does a nice job with this; for instance: http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/ (which can also be extended to http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/citation/and http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/metadata/ ... providing a very hackable naming structure).

I know of external services like EZID which will do the redirect for you, but then the URL that's in the browser location bar isn't the persistent URL (so the URL that is more than likely to be bookmarked is the more fragile one).  I'm wondering about the level of effort required to have Islandora show an object page using a more persistent URL, even if the other one (with /islandora/object/) also exists in the system, and also resolves to the object page.

Has anyone done in work in the area?

Thanks,
Kevin

Nick Ruest

Sep 12, 2013, 3:56:56 PM9/12/13
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Not sure this will help, but I tried to get this conversation going a
couple years ago at Islandora Camp, and did a little bit a research[1]
on the Fedora listserv on implementing the ark spec.

If folks are interested in exploring this further, we should! ...or
maybe wait until Fedora4 does something magical for us :-)

Also, I <3 the UNT site.

-nruest

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/search/index.php?group_id=177054&type_of_search=mlists&q=ark&ml_name[]=fedora-commons-developers&ml_name[]=fedora-commons-users&posted_date_start=&posted_date_end=&form_submit=Search

rachel...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2017, 4:38:02 PM4/3/17
to islandora
Has more work been done in this area over the last few years? Assuming we know more now about Fedora 4, can anyone confirm this will be built into CLAW as default? Also, FYI, there is a Google group specifically related to ARKs: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/arks-forum
Thank you,
Rachel

Nick Ruest

Apr 3, 2017, 4:44:08 PM4/3/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
> Assuming we know more now about Fedora 4, can anyone confirm this
will be built into CLAW as default?

No. They are not apart of the MVP[1].

If this is functionality you would like to see, please feel free to
create use case[2], and add it to a future CLAW Call agenda[3] as a
topic for discussion.

fwiw, I think this is a good potential use case, but we need community
input and resources to make it happen; stakeholders, functional
requirements, developers, documentation, and testing.

-nruest

[1] https://islandora-claw.github.io/CLAW/mvp/mvp_doc/
[2]
https://islandora-claw.github.io/CLAW/contributing/CONTRIBUTING/#use-cases
[3] https://github.com/Islandora-CLAW/CLAW/wiki/2017
> <http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/citation/and>
> > http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/metadata/
> <http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth5828/metadata/> ...
> > providing a very hackable naming structure).
> >
> > I know of external services like EZID which will do the redirect for
> > you, but then the URL that's in the browser location bar isn't the
> > persistent URL (so the URL that is more than likely to be
> bookmarked is
> > the more fragile one). I'm wondering about the level of effort
> required
> > to have Islandora show an object page using a more persistent URL,
> even
> > if the other one (with /islandora/object/) also exists in the system,
> > and also resolves to the object page.
> >
> > Has anyone done in work in the area?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin
> >
> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/2d43d74b-e3d8-4d5c-a96c-4a48b979279e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/2d43d74b-e3d8-4d5c-a96c-4a48b979279e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Mark Jordan

Apr 3, 2017, 5:24:30 PM4/3/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel,

If all you're interested in is making sure the user gets from the old URL to the new one reliably and transparently, there a few ways to do this. We created a redirector application that takes users from an object's old CONTENTdm URL to the corresponding migrated object in Islandora by looking up the old CONTENTdm URL in Islandora's Solr, getting the corresponding PID, and redirecting to the new Islandora URL. This assumes that you've included the old ID or URL in your MODS. We added the old URLs to our MODS like this:

<identifier type="uri" invalid="yes" displayLabel="Migrated From">http://content.lib.sfu.ca/cdm/ref/collection/bcpba/id/3432</identifier>

Brandon Weigel's redirector module does the same thing.

External services like DOI or Ark do create proper persistent URIs for your objects, but if you use these, you also take on the responsibility of updating those external URIs to redirect to your objects' new URLs whenever you change platforms or domain names. You also take on the ongoing cost of subscription fees to those services, if they apply. There are pros and cons to both types of URL "persistence" (maybe the first one can be called "just in time" persistence and the second on "just in case" persistence).

Mark