Islandora Batch Derivative Trigger - for newspapers?

Brandon Weigel

Mar 9, 2018, 11:24:33 AM3/9/18
to islandora
Islandora Batch Derivative Trigger is an extremely useful module, that helps to overcome the problem of DC not being regenerated when you replace the MODS XML file. However, it only works on objects that are children of collections. It doesn't work for newspaper issues.

I'd like to add its functionality to the Newspaper manage form as well. This feels like it should be a simple task, but I'm not sure what hooks to fire on nor how to get it to appear in the right groups.

Has anyone got advice that I could use to make this happen?

Aaron Krebeck

Feb 18, 2019, 9:58:35 AM2/18/19
to islandora
This is a year old, but I totally agree.  To flesh this out a bit more, the Islandora Batch Derivative Trigger is a fantastic tool, but it seems to only work at a "shallow traversal" level.  It can generate derivatives on direct children of a collection, but not children of those children.  So in addition to newspaper issues, I'd love to see it work on compound objects and pages of books - and I'd love for this feature to be visible in the GUI.

Would this be difficult?  Would others be interested?  My organization would be willing to commit some funds to this project.  It would take a lot of command line management off of my plate as the manager of an Islandora environment.