OAI - problem harvesting into discovery layer

Janice Banser

Jun 2, 2016, 2:05:23 PM6/2/16
to islandora
Hi all,

We are canvassing the group to see if anyone is successfully harvesting their Islandora collections into a discovery service (particularly Summon) via OAI-PMH.

Here at Simon Fraser University we were informed by Summon that there were issues. According to Summon they can harvest the set list , but retrieving records from the sets fails. They can harvest individual records, but the set and collection data is needed for useful mapping within Summon.

Additionally, it seems some OAI-PMH standards are missing:

"When a repository defines a set organization it must include set membership information in the headers of items returned in response to the ListIdentifiers, ListRecords and GetRecord requests."

Any feedback, sharing of similar experience or advice??

Thanks!

Janice

Brad Spry

Jun 2, 2016, 4:45:49 PM6/2/16
to islandora
Janice,

Here is a link to an OAI Validator; enter your site's OAI URL/path to begin:
http://validator.oaipmh.com

For ListIdentifiers and ListRecords, you should absolutely see setSpec in the header of each record.    setSpec represents the set/collection membership data.

In summary, I believe the set/collection data is correctly being provided by islandora_oai.

Brad

Janice Banser

Jun 2, 2016, 5:50:52 PM6/2/16
to islandora

Thanks Brad,

Validation worked.

Janice

Aaron Krebeck

Jun 3, 2016, 11:36:49 AM6/3/16
to islandora
We are currently harvesting our Islandora collections into Summon.  The biggest problem we've had is that with the multisite configuration, objects seem to be going into Summon twice.  There's the islandora root site version and then the islandora multisite version.  Still not sure exactly why this happens with a single OAI stream.  We have not attempted to exclude sets (thought it would be preferable) and working at the set level with Summon seems to be kind of difficult.  However, the objects do seem to appear properly within the Summon interface and allow greater access to our Islandora collections.

Diego Pino

Jun 4, 2016, 9:20:41 PM6/4/16
to islandora
Aaron,

Since drupal multisites really access the same repository (typically, of course you can have multiple repositories, but most people just go for one) in order to discern which objects are available/accessible to which multisite, the most common approach is to enforce namespace restrictions on the islandora module.
That way you can make some PID's being available to your root site, others to another. OAI module makes use of this, but, looking at the code at
It only works if you also filter the islandora namespace... ? Not sure if this is an error or a feature really, but my quick inspections says you need to enable "Exclude objects within the "islandora" namespace"  in the OAI config form which will of course also lead to not exposing any PID starting with islandora:

Best

Diego Pino
Metro.org