Islandora MODS

Poulter, Dale

Mar 7, 2018, 5:12:09 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Good afternoon,

After reading many posts about adding MODs to our index and display we have been attempting to do so using the Discovery Garden gsearch.  However, we cannot seem to get the process to work.  Here is what we have done:

1-      Installed the basic-solr-config (https://github.com/discoverygarden/basic-solr-config)

2-      Added the gsearch extensions (https://github.com/discoverygarden/dgi_gsearch_extensions)

3-      Installed the gsearch from https://github.com/discoverygarden/gsearch

4-      Edited the foxmlToSolr.xslt to include the needed templates and correct the file paths.

Tomcat starts ok and indexing appears to occur but I am unable to view the mods fields.  Thank you for any assistance.

--Dale

---------------------------------------
Dale Poulter

Director

Library Technology and Digital Services
Vanderbilt University

419 21st Avenue South, Office 812
Nashville, TN  37203-2427
(615)343-5388
(615)207-9705 (cell)
dale.p...@vanderbilt.edu

Mark Jordan

Mar 7, 2018, 7:24:33 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Dale, when you say you are unable to view any MODS, where are you looking? Have you been able to see any MODS data using the Solr admin interface?
  1. Go to http://yourserver:8080/solr/#/collection1/query (your ports etc. may vary)
  2. Click on Execute Query (*:*)
  3. If you want to search for an object you know is in your repo, change the query to PID:namespace\:number

Mark
--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Poulter, Dale

Mar 7, 2018, 8:17:44 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Interesting,  I can access fedoragsearch but cannot access  solr from a workstation.  Solr is accessible from the server (at least returns the basic admin page).

-Dale

Mark Jordan

Mar 7, 2018, 8:29:04 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if there is a default security policy in your tomcat config that limits access to sole - anyone know if that's the default case?

Mark Jordan

Mar 7, 2018, 8:29:42 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Solr, not sole. Autocorrect.

Poulter, Dale

Mar 7, 2018, 8:33:43 PM3/7/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com

The strange thing is that I did not make any changes to solr – only to gsearch.  Tomcat is running on port 8080 with both solr and gsearch.

Mark Jordan

Mar 8, 2018, 1:28:51 PM3/8/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Dale, in case you haven't worked out access to Solr, here's a URL template you can use with curl from the server that should confirm whether or not you have MODS data in our Solr:

Mark

Poulter, Dale

Mar 8, 2018, 1:40:36 PM3/8/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Thank you this helped.  It appears I do not have all of MODS being pulled in.  Here are the only two references to MODS in the output.

    <arr name="dsmd_MODS.Content-Type">

      <str>application/xml</str>

    </arr>

    <arr name="ds.MODS">

      <str>

-Dale

bse...@amherst.edu

Apr 6, 2018, 3:28:47 PM4/6/18
to islandora

In case it is helpful, I just spent a day or two figuring out how to get the MODS data into Solr.  I'm using the discovery garden config you're using as well.

It finally started to work when I changed this line in the foxmlToSolr.xslt (https://github.com/discoverygarden/basic-solr-config/blob/modular/foxmlToSolr.xslt#L230):

<xsl:with-param name="content" select="document(concat($PROT, '://', encoder:encode($FEDORAUSER), ':', encoder:encode($FEDORAPASS), '@', $HOST, ':', $PORT, '/fedora/objects/', $PID, '/datastreams/', @ID, '/content'))"/>

To this:

<xsl:with-param name="content" select="exts:getDatastreamXML($PID,$REPOSITORYNAME, @ID, $FEDORASOAP, $FEDORAUSER, $FEDORAPASS, $TRUSTSTOREPATH, $TRUSTSTOREPASS)"/>

I started seeing MODS data in solr after that change when fedoragsearch to reindex.

(Many thanks to Diego -- I found this in an earlier email on this list that he wrote).
-Bethany

dp...@metro.org

Apr 9, 2018, 9:27:30 AM4/9/18
to islandora
Cool Bethany, happy you got it working!  I wonder if its time to have a canonical Islandora repo for this? Nothing fancy but a config that works out of the box and that can be extended then via the more complete DGI one. I have been changing this before moving a year and a half to the US and still, people are confronted with this XACML issue

Best

Diego Pino
Metro.org

Bethany Seeger

Apr 13, 2018, 10:10:25 AM4/13/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Yes – I think that would be a good idea.  I thought MODS would work “out of the box” and was surprised when it didn’t.  That being said, I’m new to Islandora 7, so I don’t really know how many folks work with MODS and would want that ability from the get go.  I imagine quite a few, but don’t really know.

It might be on the site somewhere, but the flip side could be including more description about what you do get indexed by default when installing Solr & Gsearch on the Milestone 6 page (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA/milestone+6+-+Installing+Solr+and+Gsearch)

I had missed the small warning box about indexing specific datastreams and needing the DGI code for more datastreams, assuming that MODS was just going to be indexed by default.    The install pages are rich with content (good stuff!) and could maybe just use a little more info.

-Bethany