Islandora Vagrant

Nick Ruest

Mar 12, 2015, 11:39:42 AM3/12/15
to island...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks-

I've cut the first release of Islandora Vagrant[1].

I'd love feedback, peer review, collaborators, and contributors!

If you're interested, let me know and I'd be more than happy to add you
to the project.

cheers!

-nruest

[1] https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant/releases/tag/1.0

Kevin Bowrin

Mar 12, 2015, 4:43:17 PM3/12/15
to island...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com
Vagrant up-ing as we speak. Great work!

James Griffin III

Mar 13, 2015, 2:44:01 PM3/13/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com, island...@googlegroups.com
Dear Nick,

Thank you very much for this tremendous contribution.

I have a quick question regarding support for legacy releases of Fedora Commons.

Currently, within the Islandora GIS IG we have a need to begin implementing acceptance tests against an existing Vagrant environment for an Islandora site integrating some early GIS Module(s).  Two approaches which have been outlined are:

* Fork and extend this Islandora Vagrant Environment
* Work with a Vagrant/Puppet Env. which we've been developing (albeit, slowly) at Lafayette College Libraries

Might it be more straightforward and efficient to attempt to work with deprecated releases of Fedora Commons using a fork of this Vagrant Environment?  Or was this developed with the goal of progressing with solutions for Fedora Commons 4.x releases?

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
James

Nick Ruest

Mar 13, 2015, 2:52:24 PM3/13/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com, island...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote for extending.

Where possible, there is an environment variable for a give component of
the software stack's version. You can pass that variable in when you run
`vagrant up`. Danny outlined how to do that here[1], and if you're
looking for a code example, check this[2] out.

That said, if you'd like to extend it so it takes in a specific version
of Fedora that'd be great! And, if you want to extend it to pull in
specific components (GIS components you're working with) based on
environment variables passed in at build, that'd be great too!

-nruest

[1] https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora/tree/7.x-2.x/install#use
[2]
https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora/blob/7.x-2.x/install/Vagrantfile#L24-L42