Top-level Collection -- islandora:root -- Missing

Chris Gray

May 5, 2014, 10:52:57 AM5/5/14
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record, we're still struggling with islandora-7.x-1.2 and fcrepo-3.7.1.

When we try to install the objects for the top-level collection in the Islandora module we get the following error:

An AJAX HTTP error occurred. HTTP Result Code: 500 Debugging information follows. Path: /drupal/batch?render=overlay&id=30&op=do StatusText: Service unavailable (with message) ResponseText: RepositoryException: in RepositoryConnection->parseFedoraExceptions() (line 229 of /var/www/drupal/sites/all/libraries/tuque/RepositoryConnection.php).

Any ideas what's going wrong or where to look?  Is this saying that the service from the fedora repository is not available?  Is it a problem with the Drupal filter for Fedora?

Thanks for any assistance,
Chris

Peter .

May 5, 2014, 4:44:50 PM5/5/14
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I thought that fcrepo-3.7.1 wasn't officially supported yet. I believe I saw that in one of the messages post by Nick in this group.

Peter

Chris Gray

Aug 11, 2014, 10:33:23 AM8/11/14
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Ah, it's good to renew old acquaintances.

I am now trying to get 7.x-1.3 working and I am having the same problem.  With my 1.2 install I reinstalled Fedora using 3.6 and that got things working.  I thought with 1.3 it might be safe to use 3.7.1, but it seems not.  I get the exact same error as I posted before.

The Islandora virtual box is using 3.7.0.  Is it 3.7.1 specifically or is there a fix/workaround?

Edward Garrett

Oct 20, 2014, 7:12:35 AM10/20/14
to isla...@googlegroups.com
i have been through the installation process for fedora and islandora several times, troubleshooting various issues along the way.

i came across precisely this issue with fedora 3.7.1 and the 3.7.1 drupal filter. i went ahead and switched to 3.7.0 for both and now have a working installation.

note that the documentation on [https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA713/Installing+Fedora] is not fully informative:

1. Download the latest release of Fedora from Fedora Commons (3.5, 3.6.2, and 3.7.0 have been tested for use with Islandora).

the latest release of fedora is 3.7.1. maybe better to say 3.7.1 **doesn't work** with islandora if this is actually true.

Alexander Kocisky

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15:25 AM10/20/14
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hey .. i had the same issue for so long (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/islandora/h5S8Oeoktp8/LxaC6bCigkIJ) !!

glad you figure out the wrong piece of the puzzle !

i was so frustrated to reinstall all the times everything (and getting different issues or the same one) that i created a docker version of islandora 7-1.3: https://github.com/namka/docker-islandora

hope it helps,
Alex

W. Koster

Sep 23, 2015, 8:51:40 AM9/23/15
to islandora
Hmmm...

I'm trying to install Islandora 7.x-1.5 and read:

NOTE: The recommendation is that for new installations you use Fedora 3.8.1

But still I get ALMOST! the same error-message when testing milestone 5:

An AJAX HTTP error occurred. HTTP Result Code: 500 Debugging information follows. Path: /batch?id=7&op=do StatusText: Service unavailable (with message) ResponseText: RepositoryException: in RepositoryConnection->parseFedoraExceptions() (line 229 of /var/www/drupal/sites/all/libraries/tuque/RepositoryConnection.php).

Should I open en new entry, or could this be related to a version mismatch like in this topic ?

Regards,
Willem.

Nick Ruest

Sep 23, 2015, 9:35:35 AM9/23/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem-

Have you verified/double-checked everything here[1]? It might also be
helpful to run the Drupal Filter Validator[2], and share any output from
fedora.log, catalina.out, and you apache error log.

cheers!

-nruest

[1] https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=68063497
[2] https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/drupal_filter_validator

On 15-09-23 04:58 AM, W. Koster wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> I'm trying to install Islandora 7.x-1.5
> <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA715?src=breadcrumbs-homepage> and
> read:
>
> NOTE: The recommendation is that for new installations you use Fedora 3.8.1
>
> But still I get ALMOST! the same error-message when testing milestone 5:
>
> An AJAX HTTP error occurred. HTTP Result Code: 500 Debugging information
> follows. Path*: /batch?id=7&op=d*o StatusText: Service unavailable (with
> message) ResponseText: RepositoryException: in
> RepositoryConnection->parseFedoraExceptions() (line 229 of
> /var/www/drupal/sites/all/libraries/tuque/RepositoryConnection.php).
>
> Should I open en new entry, or could this be related to a version
> mismatch like in this topic ?
>
> Regards,
> Willem.
>

> On Monday, May 5, 2014 at 4:52:57 PM UTC+2, Chris Gray wrote:
>
> Just for the record, we're still struggling with islandora-7.x-1.2
> and fcrepo-3.7.1.
>
> When we try to install the objects for the top-level collection in
> the Islandora module we get the following error:
>
> An AJAX HTTP error occurred. HTTP Result Code: 500 Debugging
> information follows. Path: /drupal/batch?render=overlay&id=30&op=do
> StatusText: Service unavailable (with message) ResponseText:
> RepositoryException: in
> RepositoryConnection->parseFedoraExceptions() (line 229 of
> /var/www/drupal/sites/all/libraries/tuque/RepositoryConnection.php).
>
> Any ideas what's going wrong or where to look? Is this saying that
> the service from the fedora repository is not available? Is it a
> problem with the Drupal filter for Fedora?
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Chris
>
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/29722ddd-240f-497a-bb71-f4825e54eb2b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/29722ddd-240f-497a-bb71-f4825e54eb2b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Diego Pino

Sep 23, 2015, 9:43:52 AM9/23/15
to islandora
Hi, are you running drupal tests or are you already trying to do a batch import with a fully functional islandora-fedora 3 repo? (meaning you get a green check in the islandora config form at /admin/islandora/configure) and your islandora:root collection is in place? Which version of Fedora are you running? It's recommended that the drupal filter (milestone 3) matches the fedora version

best

Diego

W. Koster

Sep 24, 2015, 5:44:52 AM9/24/15
to islandora

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 at 3:43:52 PM UTC+2, Diego Pino wrote:
Hi, are you running drupal tests or are you already trying to do a batch import with a fully functional islandora-fedora 3 repo? (meaning you get a green check in the islandora config form at /admin/islandora/configure) and your islandora:root collection is in place?

The error occurs when testing during installation of milestone 5. No imports yet. I did get the green checkmark at the time (so tuque was working).

     Test the Islandora Core Module installation:

  • Once Islandora Core is enabled, you should be able to test. Ensure that the 'testing' module is enabled in Drupal (it is not by default), then go to Configuration > Development > Testing and click the link.
  • This will pop up a new window with a list of tests to run. Scroll down to Islandora, then click the checkbox. Scroll down to the bottom and click "Run Tests". This will take about 30 minutes to run, so go grab a coffee.
Takes less then a minute before I got the error, so no time for cofee.

Which version of Fedora are you running? It's recommended that the drupal filter (milestone 3) matches the fedora version

I installed fedora 3.8.1 but the drupal-filter was 3.8.0 (as per instructions). When I downloaded drupal-filter 3.8.1 I'm not getting anything done at all anymore on the site, but I'm unable to restore the old situation either...

RepositoryException: in RepositoryConnection->parseFedoraExceptions() (line 229 of /var/www/drupal/sites/all/libraries/tuque/RepositoryConnection.php).

So I managed to make things worse. Everything is 3.8.1 now though.

/opt/fedora/tomcat/webapps/fedora/WEB-INF/lib# ls -l fcrepo*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora  338064 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-common-3.8.1.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 islandora islandora   18379 sep 24 10:20 fcrepo-drupalauthfilter-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora    6010 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-security-http-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora   47163 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-security-jaas-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora  147548 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-security-pdp-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora  244526 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-security-pep-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora 1337906 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-server-3.8.1.jar
-rw-rw-r-- 1 islandora islandora   10358 sep 22 14:56 fcrepo-shared-resources-3.8.1.jar

next step... get back to the original error-message....

Thanks,
Willem.

Diego Pino

Sep 24, 2015, 10:55:24 AM9/24/15
to islandora
Hi Willen,

I see, well my personal opinion is: get the coffee but avoid the tests at all. They are meant for developers to assure that their (our) modules can interact cleanly with fedora/drupal and between each other, but there are many cases where they will fail for a normal/admin/installing user, e.g when the drupal_filter.xml is not accessible(writable) for drupal and the test demands so. Also, those test are run during our development process and we asure that the interoperability we search by having them is tested during a release process. So your 7.x-1.5 version (release) was tested at that level.

I don't know if others agree with me, but to test a functional islandora installation you need to basically (there are other things involved, please correct me if i'm missing steps)
1.- assure that the tuque part can authenticate and talk to fedora (this involves the drupal_filter responsible for the drupal to fedora user mapping and authenticating),
2.-  that your base XACML policies are wellformed (Documented) and allow enough "openness" to make islandora/drupal interact with objects and also secure enough to avoid not-allowed access to fedora's API-M (M for modification).
3.- That your installed solution pack where able to install their base objects (only possible if 1 and 2 are OK)

All of this can be verified by having the "green mark" in the admin form for fedora and ingest/purge/modificating some objects.
Then you can deep further and test if all external tools are working fine, like derivatives, large image viewers and of course, Solr + gsearch

Note: i'm not saying that you should not follow the documentation, i say "follow them as close as it gets" but avoid the drupal tests.

So back to the problem, after passing to fedora 3.8.1 and filter (you also get a matching version one now), have you lost your green mark? To debug this we should start by looking at the filter configuration and the tomcat + fedora logs. I can help if you want so.

Best

Diego

W. Koster

Sep 29, 2015, 8:58:46 AM9/29/15
to islandora

On Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 4:55:24 PM UTC+2, Diego Pino wrote:
[...]

XACML didn't ring a bell and looming back I noticed I did a quick install (instead of custom) of fedora and somehow managed to skip the whole XACML part. Still got a green check though...

Anyways, did a fresh install of fedora and drupal-filter and eventually got (all !) things working.

Still getting error messages when I run the tests, but everything seems to work fine so far so I take your advice and ignore them for now.

Thanks
Willem.

Diego Pino

Sep 29, 2015, 8:35:48 PM9/29/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Perfect. Thank you for the follow up on this.