islandora vagrant & atlas.hashicorp.com

Nick Ruest

Sep 21, 2015, 6:33:48 AM9/21/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com, island...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks-

I started working on issue 27[1] for Islandora Vagrant yesterday, and
pulled together a base box from the scripts that I was able to put up on
atlas.hashicorp.com[2].

With that, I've created a branch[3] that uses this base box instead of
the standard Ubuntu base box. If you have moment, give it a try. I
should build *a lot* faster than before, since it is just grabbing the
Islandora modules and libraries now. Everything else is there, Fedora,
Solr, GSearch, compiled dependencies, etc.

Some things to think about, this could change the fundamental basis of
Islandora Vagrant, do we want the repo to just build this small part is
does now, or the whole environment? Should we have two separate repos,
or just separate branches? If two branches, which should be master; the
whole environment, or just the Islandora modules & libraries? If you
have thoughts/opinions on this, throw in a comment here[4].

cheers!

-nruest

[1] https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant/issues/27
[2] https://atlas.hashicorp.com/ruebot/boxes/islandora-base
[3]
https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant/tree/islandora-dev-with-base
[4] https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant/issues/91

Mark Jordan

Sep 21, 2015, 11:21:03 AM9/21/15
to island...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com
I would vote for two separate repos, but what are the maintenance implications of having two? I assume that every time we make a change that affects the base box, we'd need to rebuild it and upload an updated image to atlas. Is that correct?

But, I'm not convinced the time (to build) savings in using a non-vanilla base box are worth the extra effort of maintaining two separate repos, especially if there is extra work involved in keeping the base image up to date. My C$0.02. Are there any other benefits?

Mark

Nick Ruest

Sep 21, 2015, 11:26:27 AM9/21/15
to island...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark-

Replying in-line.

On 15-09-21 11:21 AM, Mark Jordan wrote:
> I would vote for two separate repos, but what are the maintenance
> implications of having two? I assume that every time we make a change
> that affects the base box, we'd need to rebuild it and upload an updated
> image to atlas. Is that correct?

That is correct. That said, the base hasn't changed significantly in a
while, so I'd say it is stable.

The only thing that may change in the base, is the version of Drupal,
and that can be accounted for the in post-install script.

> But, I'm not convinced the time (to build) savings in using a
> non-vanilla base box are worth the extra effort of maintaining two
> separate repos, especially if there is extra work involved in keeping
> the base image up to date. My C$0.02. Are there any other benefits?

Well, I think cutting down the box build by about 40-45 minutes is worth
it :-)

-nruest

> Mark

> <mailto:islandora-de...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora-dev/1323746795.22706909.1442848861760.JavaMail.zimbra%40sfu.ca
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora-dev/1323746795.22706909.1442848861760.JavaMail.zimbra%40sfu.ca?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nick Ruest

Sep 27, 2015, 7:05:48 PM9/27/15
to island...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks-

Please checkout this issue for Islandora Vagrant, and comment/vote.

cheers!

-nruest

[1]
https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant/issues/91#issuecomment-143600682