Keyword Search results of Newspaper issue objects fails to show where hits are

Peter MacDonald

Nov 23, 2016, 10:54:42 PM11/23/16
to islandora
Islandora 7x.1.7
Solr 4.2
Fedora 3.8.1

We use the Islandora Simple Search block to offer keyword searches to our users.

For books keyword searching works fine. That is, when the book's main object is opened, the bottom toolbar shows pins for pages where the keywords are found. [1]

But for newspaper issues, this does not work.[2] That is, there are no pins for page hits on the newspaper issue page. The work-around is for the user to use the Search Inside box to do a search inside the issue and then pins will show up just fine.

The Books and Newspaper Solution Packs both use the Openseadragon viewer, but are behaving differently for us.

I can't on my own discover what might be preventing the initial display of the newspaper issues to fail to show the pins.

Any solutions or even guesses would be appreciated.

Peter

Peter MacDonald

Nov 29, 2016, 8:46:45 AM11/29/16
to islandora
After more analysis of the problem with keyword searching (Islandora Simple Search) and the Newspaper SP, it was pointed out to me by a perceptive colleague that after a search is performed (example query: "frontier") the links on the results page are different for Books and for Newspaper objects -- the Books link has more parameters in the URL, which includes the search criteria: "#page/1/mode/1up/search/frontier". This is missing from the links to Newspaper issues.

Does anyone have a guess as to what the search query is not being added to the URL for Newspapers only?

I've looked at these related files for clues, but it didn't really help me track down the problem:

modules/islandora_solr_search/includes\query_processor.inc
modules/islandora_solr_search/theme\theme.inc

Thanks,
Peter MacDonald