fedora+gsearch and solr different server configuration

Vikram Adethyaa

Feb 9, 2015, 11:21:03 AM2/9/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am trying to setup Islandora in the following scenario:
  1. Server-1 --> Fedora + Gsearch
  2. Server-2 --> Solr.
Solr server with fedoragsearch solr core successfully deployed with schema.xml generated by ant build of fgsconfig-basic.xml.
fedora-gsearch on the other hand is throwing an exception IndexReader open error indexName=FgsIndex : ; nested exception is: org.apache.lucene.store.NoSuchDirectoryException: directory '/islandora/solr/fedoragsearch/data/index' does not exist.
Did I miss something? Should /islandora/solr/fedoragsearch/data/index be present on the gSearch server too?
Must I share the /islandora/solr/fedoragsearch/data/index from the solr server to the gSearch server or is there a better alternative?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Vikram

Diego Pino

Feb 18, 2015, 9:36:47 AM2/18/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vikram,

As you correctly noticed,Fdora Gsearch reads solr indexes/cores/collections directly from disk. I haven't read the whole source code, but it does not make use of the Solr (why?)  web api to do this, so basically you are stuck on  giving Gsearch disk/file access to the data directory. I have not tested, in terms of locks, performance and security, what does happens when you share the data directory across a network, so if you do this(not many options anyway), i would be nice to have your results and comments about this.

Cheers

-Diego

Mark Cooper

Feb 18, 2015, 12:01:48 PM2/18/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
If I'm not mistaken I believe the latest GSearch (2.7.1) is able to work with a remote Solr instance, however it must still be tricked into thinking that there is a local Solr available by adding segment files to a local solr index directory (where GSearch would expect to find the index directory locally). There was a recent update to Gsearch to enable this:

https://github.com/fcrepo3/gsearch/commit/82e2fc0f845f31eb6d7d2fec16a52a9a6f93933b

However I've never tried to do it so I can't speak from experience, more from what I understand should be possible. To echo Diego if you experiment and get results it would be much appreciated if you reported back.

Best,
Mark

---
Mark Cooper