Indexing/Searching using the Tibetan character "tsheg" not an ascii space character in Islandora

Pema Karpo Meditation Center

Apr 11, 2015, 8:13:16 AM4/11/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hello Islandora Developers and Users,

Does anyone see a problem with using Islandora for this project? Our concern is that we must have the ability to index and search for words and phrases in Tibetan. Tibetan words are separated by the tsheg character = the unicode character, 0f0b. They are not separated by an ascii space character.

We are starting to create a searchable digital library for a Tibetan Buddhist college with a nine year curriculum. The Tibetan texts have already been transcribed from the original unbound paper format and are available to us digitally.

We are building on the excellent work being done by developers of The Nitartha Digital Library (http://nitarthadigitallibrary.org) who are using XTF to create their text only library. (http://xtf.cdlib.org)

This project needs to include audio, video and photos in addition to the searchable text and so we have been researching other possibilities. Islandora and the Islandora community look like a great match for our project and us.

Nitartha has been generous in sharing how they were able, with the help of XTF, to change the code to allow searching to be done using the "tsheg" character. This is a link to the code changes: https://github.com/cdlib/xtf/commit/41740b48fae930a8c29c3932221d5199d96b73c5

Warm regards and thanks in advance for your assistance,

Candia Ludy, Director

Pema Karpo Meditation Center

Memphis, TN USA

www.pemakarpo.org

www.pemakar...@gmail.com

Nick Ruest

Apr 13, 2015, 7:30:25 AM4/13/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Candia-

I'd assume most or all of the work would need to be done in Solr. Naomi
Dushay from the Hydra/Blacklight community did a pretty great deep dive
into working with Chinese, Japanese, and Korean in Solr[1]. I know it
isn't Tibetan, but there is probably a fair bit there that is related
and could help out a great deal.

cheers!

-nruest

[1]