Citation Content Model/Metadata Display

Alex Kent

Jan 5, 2017, 9:59:12 AM1/5/17
to islandora
We are on Islandora 1.7, and I am testing out the Citation Content Model for a potential site.  They have a number of articles/publications with just links out to an abstract/PDF.

I am currently just testing the Citation Content Model as an option for this.  Is this a good option for this use case, or is there a better one?

For the metadata display, I am trying to figure out how to make the url in the metadata a live link.  Right now it's just one that you have to copy/paste into a browser.  I tried making a custom metadata display for the Citation Content Model but that doesn't seem to work either.

So, how could I get the URL to be a live link?  (Please see attached for a screen shot).  I have read through the documentation for the Citation Content Model/Scholar and am not finding anything...

Thanks!
Citation Content Model Metadata Display.docx

Brandon Weigel

Jan 5, 2017, 1:58:20 PM1/5/17
to islandora
Hi Alex,

Depending on how you choose to display your metadata -- if you use the standard Islandora metadata display, you'll indeed end up without live links. But, if you use the default Scholar setting (using COinS), you can add HTML tags (i.e. <a href= etc) and create active links.

Cheers,

Brandon

Brandon Weigel

Jan 5, 2017, 2:05:15 PM1/5/17
to islandora
Forgot to add the example screenshot from Vagrant:

Alex Kent

Jan 5, 2017, 3:01:55 PM1/5/17
to islandora
Thanks.  Do I just uncheck "Use Standard Metadata Display"?  If its checked, it uses standard Islandora metadata display instead of COinS.  So I assume unchecked means it will use COinS?

Brandon Weigel

Jan 5, 2017, 4:07:21 PM1/5/17
to islandora
Exactly.

Brandon Weigel

Jan 5, 2017, 5:55:38 PM1/5/17
to islandora
Correction -- looks like you don't need to use COinS after all. Just need the HTML markup and you're good to go.

Alex Kent

Jan 6, 2017, 8:30:08 AM1/6/17
to islandora
Great! Thanks very much for the help.

Alex

John O'Connor

Jan 26, 2018, 8:00:19 AM1/26/18
to islandora
Hi Brandon,

Sorry to dredge this discussion up again. We tried implementing your live links solution and weren't able to make it work. Both with COinS and without. We added the HTML markup to the MODS datastream and reuploaded.

I know that's not much info, but do you have any thoughts as to why that might be?

Thanks,
John

Brandon Weigel

Jan 26, 2018, 8:44:21 AM1/26/18
to islandora
What was your markup?

Depending on how you've configured your metadata display, there are lots of reasons what you did might not work. If you're using DC fields rather than MODS, replacing the MODS datastream directly will not trigger a transform. Try editing it via the ingest form instead.

How are you presenting your metadata? Using Solr Metadata? A fresh install defaults to Dublin Core, so that might be part of the problem.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that requires a bit of hunting to resolve.

John O'Connor

Jan 31, 2018, 9:36:17 AM1/31/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We eventually figured this out and the answer is somewhat obvious. You have to use the HTML special entity markup (&lt, &gt, etc.) in the MODS file in order to have it render. We were just adding HTML characters and hoping that worked.

You can even embed images using the HTML markup, which is nice for branding things like ORCID IDs, but you might have to deal with your theme's CSS when it handles images.

Thanks Brandon for the help.

Best,
John

John O'Connor