External site search box

Thomas Cleary

May 2, 2018, 9:49:31 AM5/2/18
to islandora
Hi all,

My library is upgrading it's website to a Wordpress site and we would like to add in a search box that will let the user enter in a search and then bring them to the results page in repository. Basically the same idea as having a catalog search bar on a site, but for the archives.  Has anyone done this before? Not sure where to start with it and don't see any Islandora specific examples.

Thanks
Thomas

mjordan

May 2, 2018, 11:23:11 AM5/2/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hi Thomas,

Over the summer we'll be completing work on an Islandora module that will perform a user's search entered on one Islandora instance in another (or maybe even multiple other) instances and present a list of those remote results in the source Islandora, as a block. We are doing this because we have related collections across our four Islandora instances and want to have a user's search present results from those collections without the user having to know about the location of the other collections.

This is a Drupal module, not a Wordpress plugin, but it might be useful to you since it will demonstrate how to search a remote Islandora and bring back results into the source system. To get this to work from within Wordpress, you'll need to write a plugin for that platform.

When our module is ready for production, I'll announce it on this list, but if you want to find out more in the meantime, let me know.

Mark

May 2, 2018, 2:15:57 PM5/2/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I also haven't seen that done, but I think it would be fairly easy.

The pattern for the action of your form would come from the submit
function here [1]

I would use a small javascript function to take the submitted search
terms and escape them and add them to the end of the search URL. Then
direct the browser there.

[1]
https://github.com/Islandora/islandora_solr_search/blob/7.x/includes/blocks.inc#L497-L509

Essentially if you go to
http://my_islandora_site/islandora/search/some_urlencoded_search_terms

you should get a search result.

cheers,
jared

On 2018-05-02 10:23 AM, mjordan wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>

> Over the summer we'll be completing work on an Islandora module that
> will perform a user's search entered on one Islandora instance in
> another (or maybe even multiple other) instances and present a list of
> those remote results in the source Islandora, as a block. We are doing
> this because we have related collections across our four Islandora
> instances and want to have a user's search present results from those
> collections without the user having to know about the location of the
> other collections.
>

> This is a Drupal module, not a Wordpress plugin, but it might be useful
> to you since it will demonstrate how to search a remote Islandora and
> bring back results into the source system. To get this to work from
> within Wordpress, you'll need to write a plugin for that platform.
>

> When our module is ready for production, I'll announce it on this list,
> but if you want to find out more in the meantime, let me know.
>

> Mark

Jared Whiklo
jwh...@gmail.com
Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, ha ha ha, that's funny. -- Bender

signature.asc

Thomas Cleary

May 3, 2018, 2:47:36 PM5/3/18
to islandora
Jared-- Thanks I think I'll look into that submit function some more and see what I can figure out

Mark-  That module sounds really interesting, I only have one repository set up so seems like it does more than I need it to do.  I'm mostly just trying to reduce the amount of clicks it takes to get to the site, and give people the option to search from the library home page.

Thomas