XACML Settings to Show Collection but Hide Objects In Collection

cd...@artic.edu

Mar 5, 2018, 1:51:57 PM3/5/18
to islandora
I have more than one collection where I would like to have slightly different access restrictions for the collection itself than for the objects within the collection, and I'm trying to figure out how to set that up.

I want my collection to show up when showing a complete list of collections, and to even show the main browse page within that collection, but for the objects living in the collection to only be viewable by certain users.

For example, the collection is listed on our root page:

And when you click through to the collection you are still able to view this page:

But none of the objects within the collection are viewable. This would allow me to list information about the collection and what the access restrictions are.

Annoyingly I did this by accident once, but haven't been able to precisely reproduce it. There I think it was because there were sub-collections within a collection, so I limited access to the sub-collections.

Do I restrict to Shallow Traversal? Or "All Children Of This Collection And Collections Within The Collection"?

Or do I need to do a third thing? Or is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Jared Whiklo

Mar 5, 2018, 2:25:52 PM3/5/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

So I might be misunderstanding but when you say that none of the objects
inside https://digitalcollections.saic.edu/rsga are viewable, do you
mean like this one?

https://digitalcollections.saic.edu/islandora/object/islandora%3Arsga_4957?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=bf2266596636205712ea&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=0&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=0

Accession Number

rsga_pst_00395
Title

Mendacity, March 1-April 13, 1996
Date

March 1-April 13, 1996
Publisher

Randolph Street Gallery
Place of Publication

Chicago, IL
Language

English
Event

Mendacity, March 1-April 13, 1996
Object Type

posters
Rights Statement

For Rights information please contact Special Collections at the
John M. Flaxman Library.

Back to your question, it is odd that you can't actually alter the
permissions just on the collection. You should probably open a ticket on
that as it does seem like a mistake.

Then you could do a deep traversal with your tighter restrictions, then
a update of just the collections restrictions to the looser ones.

cheers,
jared
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/d0650a80-1431-4474-9cf9-16dd6e052ce7%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/d0650a80-1431-4474-9cf9-16dd6e052ce7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jared Whiklo
jwh...@gmail.com
I've learned that it is not what you wear, it is how you take it off.

signature.asc

Jared Whiklo

Mar 5, 2018, 2:37:00 PM3/5/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Actually Chris,

As my brain made it out of the snow.

The "New children of this object" would work to assign the permissions
to the collection object but not alter any children.

However you must be aware that if you create a new resource inside the
collection it will get the same loose permissions as the collection.

But that might have been what you did.

cheers,
jared
At the risk of sounding negative, no. -- Leela

signature.asc

Christopher H Day

Mar 5, 2018, 2:56:35 PM3/5/18
to isla...@googlegroups.com
The collection I linked to was just an example. The collections I want to apply these changes to are currently set to the restrictions I want to use, I just want to change the restrictions for the collection object, without changing the restriction for the children. Or, to put it another way, to assign one restriction to the collection and a different one to the children.

At the risk of sounding negative, no. -- Leela
--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Christopher Day
Digital Resources Librarian
MacLean Visual Resources Center

John M. Flaxman Library | The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
37 South Wabash, 6th FL, Chicago, IL 60603
312.899.5101 | cd...@saic.edu
https://digital-libraries.saic.edu | http://www.saic.edu/library/

Brandon Weigel

Jan 23, 2019, 2:50:20 PM1/23/19
to islandora
Hi Christopher,

I'm running into a similar need now to this issue you posted back in March. Did you ever find a solution?

Cheers,

Brandon Weigel
At the risk of sounding negative, no. -- Leela

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

cd...@artic.edu

Jan 24, 2019, 9:24:35 AM1/24/19
to islandora
I know I was able to do it, I'm just not certain of the exact order of steps. I tested it out on a temp collection, but I believe I made the collection "public" and then used shallow traversal to limit the rights to view the material within the collection.