Deprecating the side-by-side display in the Oral History Module - Last call!

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Sep 20, 2017, 11:56:39 AM9/20/17
to islandora
Last call! We are planning on fully removing the option in the Islandora Oral History Module for side-by-side player and transcript display in the next release. Please let us know asap if you have a use case for this and would like to see it remain in code.

Best,

Kirsta

Kirsta Stapelfeldt
Coordinator, Digital Scholarship Unit | Liaison Librarian, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Library

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
AC 278 | 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario, M1C 1A4

dp...@metro.org

Sep 21, 2017, 10:55:25 AM9/21/17
to islandora
Kirsta, as a not-Oral -History-Module-user that suddenly(since a few weeks) has a possible need for it (and some type of crush/admiration for that module also =), could you explain why that decision was made and how that affects users/admins? That functionality was very cool. Are there UX/UI issues and/or programmatically ones? How will it look like/work without the side by side idea?

Thanks a lot

Diego Pino
Metro.org

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

Sep 27, 2017, 7:11:07 PM9/27/17
to islandora
Hi Diego!

Sorry for my delay in responding -  In our last bout of testing we noticed a lot of issues with the UI that were kind of unpredictable and complicated. It’s hard to fit everything in when it’s side by side (especially with sidebar menus) The option is an artifact of sorts,  left over from the Transcript UI module and never met a local use case  Before our last release we sent out a call for use cases and didn’t find anybody using this option - everybody seemed to be using the default view of the transcript player beneath the video/audio player. We figured that we could revisit if the need re-emerged, but we wanted to tidy things up since the feature seemed unpredictable. What do you think? Think you’d need it?

If you want a more technical description of the current issues we could talk about it here or on the ticket: https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_solution_pack_oralhistories/issues/45 - we’re open to talking to people who want to see it stay!

Best,

Kirsta

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

dp...@metro.org

Sep 28, 2017, 12:12:10 PM9/28/17
to islandora
Excellent explanation Kirsta. Thanks a lot. Makes sense to remove if actually not working fine/difficult to maintain and not widely in use.