Restructuring Top-Level Collections/Hierarchy

Phil Suda

Jun 25, 2015, 9:19:43 AM6/25/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all,

              Has anyone worked on restructuring the hierarchy of the Top-Level Collections? We are hoping to have our Digital Library Collection, Theses & Dissertations, etc. be Top-Level Collections and then have the appropriate "child" collections nested within these Top-Level Collections. Perhaps the answer is glaring me in the face and I am missing it. Thanks for any assistance.

Thanks,

Phil

Bryan Brown

Jun 25, 2015, 9:57:44 AM6/25/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Phil,

Other community members please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the top level collection is still just a collection, so you should be able to go to that object and click Manage>Collection>Migrate Members to move things around. You will be able to move any collection within that object to any other existing collection by clicking the checkbox for the collection you want to move, and selecting the collection into which you want to move it from the dropdown list. In the following image I went to the collection "DigiNole" and under Manage>Collection>Migrate Members, I'm moving the child collection "Load Test" to be a child of "Slayer" (fsu:slayer001).

-Bryan

Joanna DiPasquale

Jun 25, 2015, 1:40:15 PM6/25/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
One of the best suggestions I received about collection hierarchy was to create a parent collection for the institution with its own namespace (e.g., vassar:root) and place all subcollections there, rather than create top-level collections in the islandora:root area.  (Kudos to the good folks at Hamilton College for this idea, which has saved me an enormous amount of time.)  You can then point your repository to this collection as the Root Collection PID in Admin > Islandora > Configure on the Drupal side of things, which will point http://yourislandora.com/islandora to your root collection.  This technique effectively hides those Top-Level Collections that come with the Content Models with minimal headache; if you want to see those collections, it's easy enough to type in the URL directly to see them (http://yourislandora.com/islandora/object/islandora:root). From there, as Bryan suggests, you can move things around and make your collection hierarchy as needed.

One other area to think about is Solr -- the objects that come with the content models can come up in search results.  Namespace restriction is a great way to hide the objects in Solr.  In my case, I exclude the "islandora" namespace from my Solr results, since the only objects with that namespace are ones that contain test objects from the content models, hidden away in islandora:root.

I hope I've understood your question correctly!

Good luck!
Joanna

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Phil Suda

Jun 25, 2015, 3:02:11 PM6/25/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joanna and Bryan for the help. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again,

Phil

Phil Suda

Sep 9, 2015, 4:32:52 PM9/9/15
to islandora
Did you create the vassar:root in fedora and then build from there? Just curious the steps you took to create the parent collection; did you just create a collection from Islandora UI and then migrate everything over?

Thanks,

Phil

Joanna DiPasquale

Sep 10, 2015, 4:40:27 AM9/10/15
to islandora
Hi Phil,

It's actually very straightforward and completely using the UI:
1. Install Islandora instance and make sure things are connecting properly at http://your-site/admin/islandora/configure.
2. Navigate to http://your-site/islandora/object/islandora:root [which should be equivalent to clicking on "Islandora Repository" / the default navigation link].
3. Make your new collection inside islandora:root.
5. Under "Root Collection PID," enter your new collection's PID.

Once you do this, clicking on "Islandora Repository" will bring you to the new collection, with the default solution pack collections nicely hidden from public view but still accessible if you go to the islandora:root URL.

I never use the namespace "islandora" for my objects, which has the nice side effect of fine-tuning search results.  My Solr configuration always has the namespace of the new collection and nothing else (usually).  (The "namespaces" option in http://your-site/admin/islandora/configure needs to have your new namespace as well as islandora, of course.)

I hope this is helpful!
Joanna

Joanna DiPasquale
jjdipa...@gmail.com

Phil Suda

Sep 10, 2015, 7:44:11 AM9/10/15
to islandora

Thanks! Apologies for the confusion. I just got it up and running in development.

Thanks again,

Phil

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "islandora" group.

Joanna DiPasquale

Sep 11, 2015, 8:37:09 AM9/11/15
to islandora
No problem!  I'm glad it's useful. This technique was not at all apparent to me at first...!

Joanna DiPasquale
jjdipa...@gmail.com