Installation Help

Matthew Prythero

Dec 19, 2016, 8:28:56 PM12/19/16
to islandora
At the moment, our board has finally allowed me the option to look into a cataloging system for public access (after asking for nearly two years... ugh). Anyways, on my test system I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu and I was wondering if there was anyone who would help set up Islandora for me on our test system. I'd be willing to pay as well if need be. Islandora looks like it would work so perfectly for us, but I'm on the third time of trying to at least get the core package installed. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give!

Matt

Erin Tripp

Dec 21, 2016, 7:45:27 AM12/21/16
to islandora
Hi Matt,

I work for an Islandora service provider called discoverygarden. We offer installation and audit services. Contact us if you'd like us to have a look, http://www.discoverygarden.ca/contact/.

~ Erin Tripp

dp...@metro.org

Dec 21, 2016, 8:23:13 AM12/21/16
to islandora
Hi Matthew, i would recommend you to try out one of our Vagrant Machines (our = community). Vagrant machines are a super easy way to learn how the different pieces of Islandora fit together, how Fedora works, drupal interaction and they include all official solution packs and their dependencies pre-installed so you can go directly into testing and seeing how the platform fits in your institution. Also, since it's a VM you have access to all the Linux (ubuntu in our case) goodness.

and this is the base box in case you want to look deeper and i'm sure you will want to

The first one is enough since it gets its base box from atlas, which in turn is generated by second one

Fact: When i started working with islandora a few years ago, and not so many years ago really, installing islandora from scratch required many nights of work, reading almost every forum thread and a lot of luck plus some voodoo. Today, it's a lot simpler and i would say that one of the "tricks" i find more useful is to look at all the bash (.sh) scripts that come with those vagrant machines.  e.g https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant_base_box/blob/master/scripts/bootstrap.sh
it's all there!

Once you get that, tuning and customizing and going for more fancy configs gets a lot easier.

Cheers and good luck

Diego Pino N
Metro.org

Giancarlo Birello

Dec 21, 2016, 8:49:16 AM12/21/16
to isla...@googlegroups.com

... and why not take a look at our step-by-step guides here:

- http://v2p2dev.to.cnr.it/doku.php
- http://smdev.to.cnr.it/doku.php
- http://asadev.to.cnr.it/doku.php

all solutions are 2-server virtualized architecture.

Enjoy Islandora!

Giancarlo

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Cary Gordon

Dec 22, 2016, 11:31:44 AM12/22/16
to islandora
Hi Matt,

Cherry Hill specializes in Islandora on AWS, but we can also provide installation services on your hardware. Please late me know if you are interested.

You can drop us a note at in...@chillco.com or through our website at https://chillco.com.

Thanks,

Cary

Cary Gordon

Dec 28, 2016, 8:09:57 PM12/28/16
to islandora
Hi Matt,

I have looked at your various posts here and on islandora-dev. I suggest that you review https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA/Release+Notes+and+Downloads along with the basic stack page at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/ISLANDORA/Option+1%3A+Installing+the+Minimum+Islandora+Stack

Warning: there are some inconsistencies in the docs. These are largely inconsequential — one page asks for Java 8 and another asks for 6 or 7. Also, the docs refer to Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, but we have moved to 16.04, and there may be some differences between these.

I have no insight as to how your server is built, but with the nature of your issues, you might be best off with a clean operating system install. Keep it as simple as possible, and be sure to install Oracle Jave as specified in the release notes.

Finally, I suggest that you keep your questions on this, the islandora, list. most folks monitor the dev list as well, but when you post the same question on both lists, the folks who respond won't have the whole context. If you think that islandora-dev is a better place to be, that's fine, but keep everything there.

I am sure you are discovering that this is a small, dedicated community, and everyone here wants to see everyone else succeed. Keep thos questions coming.

Thanks,

Cary

Cary Gordon

Dec 28, 2016, 8:10:50 PM12/28/16
to islandora
We = my team. I don't speak for the community.