Newspaper SP - Issue Metadata/XML Form

Donald Moses

Jun 17, 2015, 9:11:32 PM6/17/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
The current Newspaper Solution pack ships with a form that is the same for both the Newspaper itself and the Issues of the newspaper.  I'm wondering if others have implemented the Newspaper Solution Pack and whether they are using the default Issue form or one of their own design?

I think it'd be useful if our form (or the issue metadata) was informed by the NDNP's guidelines[1] - the relevant bits of the data dictionary starts on p. 21 of 76.  A sample XML template is on p. 48.

I've attached a MODS form that partially complies with the NDNP's template. We load all of our newspapers in batch, so we don't typically edit issue metadata with any frequency so in my mind its important to ensure the issue data we're loading is consistent and that if needed we've got a form that can edit the data.

Thanks,

Donald

[1] http://www.loc.gov/ndnp/guidelines/NDNP_201517TechNotes.pdf
Newspaper Issue Form.xml

Alex Kent

Jun 18, 2015, 8:24:18 AM6/18/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
We use the Newspaper Solution Pack, and have two different forms, one for the Newspaper publication and then another for the issues.  I think following the NDNP's guidelines would be a good idea.

Mark Jordan

Jun 19, 2015, 3:19:18 PM6/19/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Donald,

Like UPEI, SFU will be pretty much only bulk loading newspapers and issues. We've supplied a sample MODS file in the README to the Newspaper Batch module but it's pretty simple.

I agree with compliance with the NDNP guidelines and your preliminary issue-level form looks good. It would be extremely useful if we could populate the Parent Newspaper Information automatically for issues, so we don't get varying spellings etc. of the title. If we can't infer the parent newspaper form the context (which we probably can't do in all cases), maybe an autocomplete on title that would then fetch the rest of the details for the selected newspaper would be an option worth pursuing.

One (perhaps minor) issue I have with the default form that currently ships with the newspaper solution pack is the inclusion of the "Newspaper Preceding/Succeeding Information" section. While this would apply to many newspapers, it also clutters up the form for newspapers that don't. If we continue to include this I'd recommend that this section collapsed by default to improve usability, at least usability from the perspective of a site that wouldn't be using it.

Mark

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---