Using book solution pack for right-to-left books

Elizabeth McAulay

May 22, 2015, 9:57:25 PM5/22/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone is using the Book Solution Pack to present books that are read "back to front", for example, Hebrew books. If so, did you need to do custom coding or is there a magical configuration I can use?

Thanks,
Lisa

UCLA Digital Library Program

Jordan Dukart

May 22, 2015, 11:18:03 PM5/22/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Some recent work has been done to support RL books within Islandora inside of the IAV. IIRC, the only way to set it right now is to go to the book management tab and select the radio button whether the pages progress LR or RL (books will default to LR). Think there may be some additional work coming that will expose this as an option to book batch/ingest through the UI.

Jordna
--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Elizabeth McAulay

Jun 9, 2015, 9:29:25 AM6/9/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jordan. I have tried to find the radio button you mention, but I did not find it. I wonder if it depends on what version of Islandora we're using? I looked on our version as installed at UCLA and also at the sandbox version and couldn't find a way to configure the page/reading direction.

Does anyone else know about the Right to Left and the book solution pack?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Lisa

Nick Ruest

Jun 9, 2015, 9:59:04 AM6/9/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa-

This is a pretty recent improvement, and is not apart of any official
release yet (including the April 30 release of 7.x-1.5). If you'd like
to take advantage of this feature, you'd need to update all your modules
to HEAD. If that is not an option, this will be apart of the next
release (7.x-1.6) which is scheduled for October 2015.

cheers!

-nruest
>> <mailto:islandora+...@googlegroups.com>.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/islandora.
>
> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our
> Listserv Guidelines:
> http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---
>

> --
> For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv
> Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
> ---

Elizabeth McAulay

Jun 9, 2015, 10:16:22 AM6/9/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm really glad this is coming down the pike!

I'll have to come back around to this later in the summer. We find running our production machines at HEAD very difficult. So we may wait until the October release. Anyway, good to know that as a librarian I'm not just missing the radio button and that I do have to turn to our developers at this time. (Lucky them!)

Best,
Lisa

Mark McFate

Jun 20, 2015, 10:49:41 AM6/20/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to pass along a quick note that may be somewhat relative...   I generally pull from HEAD for my Islandora modules and have been doing so for some time in the case of islandora_internet_archive_bookreader.  However, in my last update from head (revision 7.x) my bookreader wants to display book pages in right-to-left mode and I can't find any UI tab that will allow me to change this.  I've switched back to revision 7.x-1.5 and the normal left-to-right behavior is back.

I've also noted that the controls which normally appear in the lower right corner of the bookreader do not display correctly, for me, in any of the 7.x branches.  The rightmost control (the right arrow) spills out of the block its intended to be in and appears on a line immediately below the others.  Inspection of the elements involved finds a .BRicon CSS object with width:40px;.  I found it necessary to set this width back to 39px in order to make the icon fit on the line as it should, although this may not be the best solution.

-Mark

Elizabeth McAulay

Jun 20, 2015, 10:59:37 AM6/20/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information. I'm curious about this general impetus in the Islandora community to run on HEAD. We find that it's not stable enough to run our production instance on HEAD. I feel like somehow I'm missing a piece of the puzzle.

Best,
Lisa