3D in Islandora

Saskia van Bergen

Nov 2, 2015, 8:36:35 AM11/2/15
to islandora
Does anyone have any experience with the use of 3D images in Islandora?

I did see that Florida Virtual Campus added some testimages:

http://purl.flvc.org/flvc/fd/Test1

But these don't seem to work.

Best wishes,

Saskia

Leiden University Library

Daron Dierkes

Nov 2, 2015, 9:31:00 AM11/2/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
There's a nice drupal module for that sort of thing that could maybe be adapted for 3D objects.
http://dev-views-slideshow-j360.gotpantheon.com/

I was interested in the scrolling panorama option, but never got around to implementing it.  OpenSeadragon does a pretty great job with panoramas, so the scrolling tool proved unnecessary.

Daron Dierkes
St. Louis Mercantile Library

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Saskia van Bergen

Nov 3, 2015, 4:54:20 AM11/3/15
to islandora
Thanks a lot!

Amanda Lehman

Dec 15, 2015, 4:42:48 PM12/15/15
to islandora
Hello Saskia and Everyone,

I'd like to bump this topic one more time, as we are considering working on a solution for storing, serving and/or viewing 3D objects.  I have built a page on our private dev server using the v3dm[1] fieldtype to upload files into drupal and thingiview.js [2] to view files uploaded through the page, as well as attached to an STL datastream manually uploaded to a PDF object, but have not figured much for user interface or project development.
  • I imagine needing a custom content model to ingest 3D files (we are thinking .stl and .obj)?
    • I feel capable of trying this myself, I just want to make sure that this is not headed in the wrong direction or re-inventing someone else's work.
  • So that means a 3D Solution Pack [3] to display the viewer correctly (whether it's the thingiview.js, 3D Utilities [4], or another library)
    • I don't actually see a need for derivatives on the 3D file, just metadata at this point - though an option to upload a screenshot/thumbnail like for other solution packs would makes sense.
  • I feel like I'm missing some key part, or is it this straight forward?
  • And that would bring us into a git-hub module which will happen once it works and such.
Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Diego Pino

Dec 15, 2015, 5:47:52 PM12/15/15
to islandora
Hi Amanda,

i'm working since a few weeks in a 3D Model (STL, OBJ) solution pack using also a viewer based on three.js. It was a secret project! but since duplicating efforts is not good at all we could share/talk here about the ideas.
The need i have is to be able to preserve/display real Museum/biological/archeological collection objects, mostly based on Photogrammetry reconstructed objects (using photographs) like all the auto cad and other products out there, but that require that you share/upload your models and/or pay costly licences, a must some institutions would like to avoid.

My current work is to make visualisation as quick as possible, since a real (museum quality) scanned/reconstructed 3D model can be huge. So i was thinking in a way to make visualization quality /LOD variable using some derivative process storing intermediate 3D models to get around this. Also, since the idea (in my case) is to reconstruct based on a set of images, my current implementation allows to upload a series of images for reconstructing, basically making the module something like a paged one - or book solution pack (every image is stored as an individual linked object), this way i suppose i could make an offline automated processing derivative (more likely should be named reconstructive) process to get a basic 3D model, even OCR on the images itself, that would need to be refined further using an 3D app to correct visualisation.

I found two good basic ways to build the objects:
 1.- proprietary (needs the will to share your models) using https://memento.autodesk.com/
 2.- partly Opensource/free using http://ccwu.me/vsfm/ (that is the one i want to pipe as post processor after uploading the images)

Also, the current viewer i'm using, also based on the same library as yours has some issues with big models + some navigation issues (UI) so i wanted to take this christmas time to build something new based on the same library.
lastly, not sure what would be the perfect metadata schema for this. MODS is Ok, maybe i would need also a technical one.

As you see i'm in a work in progress stage, but very very interested in having a good solution for 2016, since preserving real objects in 3D is 3x the fun!

Best

Diego Pino

Amanda Lehman

Feb 1, 2016, 6:11:53 PM2/1/16
to islandora
Diego,

I was hoping to have something to compare your work with, but it looks like display has fallen down our priority list, and we'll just be storing files for now.

I wonder what you anticipate the object viewing experience to be like. Is it as ambitious as 3D builder [1], or something more practical like the current three.js stuff?

We wish you the best of luck in your development and I'd be happy to help you test the solution pack should the need arise!

Amanda Lehman

[1] https://youtu.be/jzXL5EODYY0?t=1m22s

Diego Pino

Feb 2, 2016, 8:10:56 AM2/2/16
to islandora
Hi Amanda,

No problem, storing/preserving is still the most important functionality, more over if you can later just hook a viewer in there. Wonder how you are using descriptive metadata. I put together a simple way of splitting description into general + top, bottom, left, right, front and back view. It's the best discrete way i found to describe what people can/could see on a 3D model, for now sticking with MODS, but there should be better ways, like spot metadata? (means describing small 3 surfaces over the object)

On the viewer work, i found this http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/3dhop/, trying to modify/understand/adapt to other formats, since it's build for .py (simple) and NXS multi resolution 3d models and i would like to allow also common .obj files. I'm so not windows (don't have a windows around neither), so my choice for retouching/editing the models is mesh lab and/or blender 3d.
But what still bugs me is the 3D automatisation/derivative creation process. I can live for now with pre-building the whole set of datastreams on my workstation, but would love to have a good/automated ingest workflow that could handle some of that process (even when slow and differed, people can wait i suppose assuming the whole process can be long and doing every model derivative can time consuming if done by hand).

More to come during. Will probably release when i finish the testing and documentation, i hope in march, one-man project!

Best and thanks for writing back =)

Diego Pino
Metro.org

Alex Kent

Feb 2, 2016, 8:58:08 AM2/2/16
to islandora
We would be interested in a 3D viewer, if it ever got made.  Would be useful for 3d artifacts, etc. from an Archives special collection.

Alex

Mark McFate

Sep 2, 2016, 9:40:53 AM9/2/16
to islandora
Good morning all.   Grinnell is also interested in 3D capabilities and Islandora.  Anyone made progress on this front lately?

-Mark M.