Islandora and Archivematica

Betsy Coles

Aug 16, 2017, 11:14:06 AM8/16/17
to islandora
I have a question about the state of integration between Islandora and Archivematica.  I have looked at the Archidora module (https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/archidora), and the islandora-to-Archivematica workflow that it supports is well documented at https://wiki.archivematica.org/Improvements/Islandora.  What I'm wondering is whether there has been any progress in the other direction: that is, processing objects in Archivematica and then ingesting them into Islandora.  Is anyone doing this, with or without automated support?

Thank you,
Betsy Coles
Caltech Digital Library Development

Mark Jordan

Aug 16, 2017, 12:16:40 PM8/16/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Betsy,

I know of no work to make this happen that has been completed, but I do know that at least one other Islandora site is interested in this functionality. Islandora is ready for this, via the Islandora REST module. The work required to have Archivematica produce DIPs for public access in Islandora needs to be done on the Archivematica side.

Archivematica already supports the creation of DIPs for several platforms (AtoM, Archivists' Toolkit, and CONTENTdm). The closest to Islandora would be CONTENTdm. To accomplish what you are describing would require development of an Archivematica client script similar to the one for CONTENTdm for Islandora. I can imagine a workflow where the Archivematica user gets an option at the “Upload DIP” workflow step to "Upload DIP to Islandora", and, if they choose that option, a new object would be automatically ingested into Islandora. This is more automated than the workflow for CONTENTdm, where the operator must download the DIP and process it using CONTENTdm's desktop client. Islandora's REST interface makes it possible to bypass that step and automate the ingestion of the DIP into Islandora.

We would need to think about how to control what collection the object gets ingested into and some other Islandora-specific details, but at a basic level all the machinery needed to do this already exists. All we need to do is write that Archivematica client script to bring all the pieces together. I am guessing that Artefactual would be interested in seeing this functionality in Archivematica, and that they would be open to discussing how to make that happen.

Mark
--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Betsy Coles

Aug 16, 2017, 12:34:38 PM8/16/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Mark!  Very helpful.

Betsy

For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

dp...@metro.org

Aug 16, 2017, 3:07:58 PM8/16/17
to islandora
Hi Mark,
I´m very interested in planning/writing something for the to Islandora DIP issue.

Tell me if there is a good place to develop this deeper / github repo/ what should get send from Archivematica to islandora in your opinion? Islandora REST is just the facilitator but seems like we need to develop most of this on Archivematica/python, but there are a few questions that I could have like CMODEL definition, etc. Not sure if REST can describe an islandora repository's capabilities (like what is installed, existing collection, cmodels, etc) or if that is even needed

Best

Diego Pino N
Metro.org

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 12:34:38 PM UTC-4, Betsy Coles wrote:
Thank you, Mark!  Very helpful.

Betsy

----- On Aug 16, 2017, at 8:14 AM, Betsy Coles <betsy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mark Jordan

Aug 17, 2017, 1:40:21 PM8/17/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

----- On Aug 16, 2017, at 12:07 PM, <dp...@metro.org> wrote:
Hi Mark,
I´m very interested in planning/writing something for the to Islandora DIP issue.
Awesome!
Yup, I wrote the original version, which has been much improved by Artefactual since then....

Tell me if there is a good place to develop this deeper / github repo/ what should get send from Archivematica to islandora in your opinion? Islandora REST is just the facilitator but seems like we need to develop most of this on Archivematica/python, but there are a few questions that I could have like CMODEL definition, etc.

I think a good place to start is a call with Justin Simpson, who can answer any Archivematica-specific questions authoritatively. I think the Islandora-specific stuff could reflect our community's use cases. I'd be happy to set this up.
Not sure if REST can describe an islandora repository's capabilities (like what is installed, existing collection, cmodels, etc) or if that is even needed
No, it can't, but providing describe functionality wouldn't be difficult to accomplish as an add-on module, for example. I've got a module ('islandora_repo_reporter') that I've been letting sit inactive for a while that generates some of that info, maybe we could crib from it.

Mark

dp...@metro.org

Aug 17, 2017, 3:02:54 PM8/17/17
to islandora
Excellent! (!). Will write you an email reminder next week and we could have that call with Justin. Talking to Justin is always a good idea.
In the meantime, i will give islandora_repo_reporter a look and see what/how that fits into the bigger scheme, is this the original repo? https://github.com/philred/islandora_repo_reporter

Thanks a lot

Diego

Betsy Coles

Aug 21, 2017, 9:31:21 AM8/21/17
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Mark and Diego,

Thank you very much for taking up this challenge!  This functionality has the potential to be very useful to us.  Please feel free to contact me off-list if Caltech can be of assistance with use cases, testing, etc.

Betsy Coles
Caltech Digital Library Development

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

dp...@metro.org

Aug 21, 2017, 10:09:30 AM8/21/17
to islandora
Thanks to you Betsy for bringing this up. I feel this need has been around(or at least in people's minds) for quite some time. Would love to have you at Caltech testing this. Will contact you once we have a better plan.

Cheers

Diego Pino
Metro.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to islandora+...@googlegroups.com.

Andrea Byrne

Mar 9, 2018, 9:39:58 AM3/9/18
to islandora
Hi all,

We also are interested in being able to upload Archivematica DIPs into Islandora. It would be a very useful functionality for us! Has there been any further progress on this?

Thanks so much,
Andrea Byrne
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute