Compound object metadata best practices

Bryan Brown

Mar 17, 2015, 1:11:35 PM3/17/15
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We are getting ready to port a lot of our institutional repository data from bepress into Islandora using the new Scholar cmodels (citation and thesis), and quite a few of our ETD records have supplementary files attached. We plan on replicating this in Islandora by creating a thesis object for the document and additional image/audio/video objects for any supplementary data and linking them together under a compound parent object. If we have the citation object as the first child, then it appears just like we want it to from a user's perspective.

From an admin perspective this structure is a bit confusing and problematic since the citation object, all supplement objects and the parent compound object should appear to be one thing, but they all have their own MODS record, and the display of the compound object changes when you click on the children. Our current policy is to clone the same MODS record across all the objects so that the view stays consistent. Another strategy might be to make the compound object's MODS record the "master" record and have minimal MODS records for the child objects. We aren't really sure what the best strategy would be, so I'm seeking the wisdom of the crowd. How do you handle this at your institutions?