Problem with tuque/FedoraApiSerializer.php/flattenDocument() returning blank data structures from XML documents

Peter Murray

Feb 5, 2013, 7:35:47 PM2/5/13
to Islandora Development
Greetings all. My first post here as I'm bringing up Islandora. I've been banging my head against this for two days and found what seems to be a problem deep in tuque. There are three lines at the top of the flattenDocument() function that break my installation if they are not removed:

if (!$xml) {
return '';
}
https://github.com/Islandora/tuque/blob/1.x/FedoraApiSerializer.php#L110-L112

If I leave those lines in, I see odd symptoms like a missing version number under Home > Islandora > Administration > General Configuration. (I see a green checkmark and this string: "Successfully connected to Fedora Server (Version ).") If I put in a debug statement at the end of FedoraApiSerializer->describeRepository(), I see this data structure:

array (
'repositoryName' => '',
'repositoryBaseURL' => '',
'repositoryVersion' => '',
'repositoryPID' =>
array (
'PID-namespaceIdentifier' => '',
'PID-delimiter' => '',
'PID-sample' => '',
'retainPID' => '',
),
'repositoryOAI-identifier' =>
array (
'OAI-namespaceIdentifier' => '',
'OAI-delimiter' => '',
'OAI-sample' => '',
),
'sampleSearch-URL' => '',
'sampleAccess-URL' => '',
'sampleOAI-URL' => '',
'adminEmail' =>
array (
0 => '',
1 => '',
),
)

in FedoraApiSerializer->describeRepository() (line 154 of tuque/FedoraApiSerializer.php). Note that all of the keys are there, but there are no values.

If I take out those three lines listed at the top of this email, I get a fully populated data structure plus the ability to add and retrieve objects from the basic image service pack. This is what the debug statement at the end of describeRepository() returns then:

array (
'repositoryName' => 'Fedora Repository',
'repositoryBaseURL' => 'http://localhost:8080/fedora',
'repositoryVersion' => '3.6.2',
'repositoryPID' =>
array (
'PID-namespaceIdentifier' => 'lyrasis',
'PID-delimiter' => ':',
'PID-sample' => 'lyrasis:100',
'retainPID' => '*',
),
'repositoryOAI-identifier' =>
array (
'OAI-namespaceIdentifier' => 'lyrasis',
'OAI-delimiter' => ':',
'OAI-sample' => 'oai:lyrasis.org:lyrasis:100',
),
'sampleSearch-URL' => 'http://localhost:8080/fedora/objects',
'sampleAccess-URL' => 'http://localhost:8080/fedora/objects/demo:5',
'sampleOAI-URL' => 'http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=Identify',
'adminEmail' =>
array (
0 => 'b...@example.org',
1 => 'sa...@example.org',
),
)

My details:

Drupal 7.19
PHP 5.4.11
Apache 2.4.3
libxml 2.7.8
SimpleXML 692516840b2d7d6e7aedb0bedded1f53b764a99f
tuque from GitHub at 2a9f74c
Islandora from GitHub at 965932f

Thoughts?

Peter
--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.

Peter Murray

Feb 6, 2013, 8:48:25 AM2/6/13
to Islandora Development
Forgot a key detail. In addition to this:

... I'm seeing the same symptoms with both Fedora 3.4.2 and Fedora 3.6.2. The structure of http://localhost:8080/fedora/describe?xml=true appears to be identical in each version.