Problem installing Barvinok

Quoc-Sang Phan

Jun 6, 2012, 6:09:46 PM6/6/12
to isl Development
Hi,

I'm trying to install Barvinok 0.35 by following the instructions in
README.

./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
gmp-5.0.5

give me an error "configure: error: ntl not compiled with gmp support"

Is it because Barvinok isn't compatible with the latest version of
gmp? Which version of gmp should I use?

Best wishes,
Sang

Sven Verdoolaege

Jun 7, 2012, 2:46:00 AM6/7/12
to Quoc-Sang Phan, isl Development
On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 03:09:46PM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Barvinok 0.35 by following the instructions in
> README.

You'll have to provide a bit more information about what exactly you did.

> ./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
> gmp-5.0.5

I assume you used this to configure NTL...

> give me an error "configure: error: ntl not compiled with gmp support"

...while this looks like an error message from barvinok's configure.

What happened in between?
Did NTL compile? Did you install it?
Send me your config.log.

skimo

Vladimir Klebanov

Jun 7, 2012, 6:47:23 AM6/7/12
to isl Development
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Quoc-Sang Phan <dark2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
> gmp-5.0.5
> give me an error "configure: error: ntl not compiled with gmp support"

I remember vaguely that the first time I got this message it was
something unrelated and completely ridiculous, like a missing C++
compiler/headers/etc.

Vladimir

Sven Verdoolaege

Jun 7, 2012, 11:45:37 AM6/7/12
to Quoc-Sang Phan, isl-dev...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:49:08AM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> Hi Skimo,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I download NTL 5.5.2, config, make, and install it.

Where did you install it?

> Then, to follow the instruction in README, I moved folder to /opt

What does that mean? What folder did you move?
Why did you move it and how did you move it?

> So my environment is follow:
> NTL: /opt/ntl-5.5.2
> Barvinok: /home/d2b/Programs/barvinok-0.35
>
> Then I configured Barvinok with:
> ./configure --prefix=/opt --with-libgmp=/home/d2b/Programs/gmp-5.0.5
> --with-ntl=/opt

So do you have a file /opt/include/NTL/ZZ.h?

skimo

Quoc-Sang Phan

Jun 7, 2012, 12:05:20 PM6/7/12
to isl Development
Hi Skimo,

In my environment, the locations of the file is :
/opt/ntl-5.5.2/include/NTL/ZZ.h

I'm sorry for not making clear. At the beginning, I download NTL, and
put it in:
/home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2
The "Programs" folder is where I put most of my programs, including
Barvinok.

Then, follow the instruction of README, I cut and paste the whole
folder of "ntl-5.5.2" to /opt.
So now its location is:
/opt/ntl-5.5.2
The file you mentioned is in:
/opt/ntl-5.5.2/include/NTL/ZZ.h

How should I configure Barvinok?

Thanks
Sang

Sven Verdoolaege

Jun 7, 2012, 1:05:52 PM6/7/12
to Quoc-Sang Phan, isl Development
[Please don't top post]

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:05:20AM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> Hi Skimo,
>
> In my environment, the locations of the file is :
> /opt/ntl-5.5.2/include/NTL/ZZ.h
>
> I'm sorry for not making clear. At the beginning, I download NTL, and
> put it in:
> /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2

What is "it"? Is it the source?
Before you said:

> > > I download NTL 5.5.2, config, make, and install it.

Where did you install it? That is, which PREFIX option did
you use when you configured NTL?

> Then, follow the instruction of README, I cut and paste the whole
> folder of "ntl-5.5.2" to /opt.

Please quote the lines from README that make you think you need
to move any folders.

> So now its location is:
> /opt/ntl-5.5.2

Is that the source or the installation?

> The file you mentioned is in:
> /opt/ntl-5.5.2/include/NTL/ZZ.h
>
> How should I configure Barvinok?

That depends on where you installed NTL.

skimo

Quoc-Sang Phan

Jun 7, 2012, 1:35:49 PM6/7/12
to isl Development
Hi Skimo,

I answer your questions inline.

On Jun 7, 6:05 pm, Sven Verdoolaege <skimo-...@kotnet.org> wrote:
> [Please don't top post]
>
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:05:20AM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> > Hi Skimo,
>
> > In my environment, the locations of the file is :
> > /opt/ntl-5.5.2/include/NTL/ZZ.h
>
> > I'm sorry for not making clear. At the beginning, I download NTL, and
> > put it in:
> > /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2
>
> What is "it"?  Is it the source?
Yes, it is.

> Where did you install it?  That is, which PREFIX option did
> you use when you configured NTL?
I put the source of NTL under: /home/d2b/Programs/ so its location at
that time is ntl-5.5.2
/home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2
Then, installed it:
./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
gmp-5.0.5
make
make install
I have no idea how it will process, e.g. copying files to common
folder.

Then I moved the source folder under /opt
/opt/ntl-5.5.2

> > Then, follow the instruction of README, I cut and paste the whole
> > folder of "ntl-5.5.2" to /opt.
>
> Please quote the lines from README that make you think you need
> to move any folders.

It is "Suppose you want to put everything in /opt,
Then you configure/compile NTL using"

> > So now its location is:
> > /opt/ntl-5.5.2
>
> Is that the source or the installation?

Yes it is.

Sven Verdoolaege

Jun 7, 2012, 2:23:22 PM6/7/12
On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:35:49AM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> On Jun 7, 6:05�pm, Sven Verdoolaege <skimo-...@kotnet.org> wrote:
[..]
> I put the source of NTL under: /home/d2b/Programs/ so its location at
> that time is ntl-5.5.2
> /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2
> Then, installed it:
> ./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
> gmp-5.0.5
> make
> make install
> I have no idea how it will process, e.g. copying files to common
> folder.

Do the

make install

inside /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2/src again and
send me the output you get.

(It should install the header files under /opt/)

> Then I moved the source folder under /opt
> /opt/ntl-5.5.2

There's no need to do this.

> > > Then, follow the instruction of README, I cut and paste the whole
> > > folder of "ntl-5.5.2" to /opt.
> >
> > Please quote the lines from README that make you think you need
> > to move any folders.
>
> It is "Suppose you want to put everything in /opt,
> Then you configure/compile NTL using"

Hmmm... I guess the "put" confused you?
I'll replace it by "install".

skimo

Quoc-Sang Phan

Jun 7, 2012, 2:58:00 PM6/7/12
to isl Development
Hi Skimo,

On Jun 7, 7:23 pm, Sven Verdoolaege <skimo-...@kotnet.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:35:49AM -0700, Quoc-Sang Phan wrote:
> > On Jun 7, 6:05 pm, Sven Verdoolaege <skimo-...@kotnet.org> wrote:
> [..]
> > I put the source of NTL under: /home/d2b/Programs/ so its location at
> > that time is ntl-5.5.2
> > /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2
> > Then, installed it:
> > ./configure NTL_GMP_LIP=on PREFIX=/opt GMP_PREFIX=/home/d2b/Programs/
> > gmp-5.0.5
> > make
> > make install
> > I have no idea how it will process, e.g. copying files to common
> > folder.
>
> Do the
>
>         make install
>
> inside /home/d2b/Programs/ntl-5.5.2/src again and
> send me the output you get.
>
> (It should install the header files under /opt/)
>
> > Then I moved the source folder under /opt
> > /opt/ntl-5.5.2
>
> There's no need to do this.

I understand now.
It's my fault, I made a stupid mistake.
When installing NTL, I failed to copy files to /opt, but I carelessly
didn't realize.
Copying file to /opt requires root account. But root account is
disabled in Ubuntu by default, that's why it failed.
I didn't understand that the PREFIX is the place it will install, so I
manually copied source folder to /opt.
Everything is OK now, thank you very much for your guidance.