RE: Can't submit to collections [Was: Having issues running handle server]

Bell, Suzanne

Sep 5, 2012, 1:59:18 PM9/5/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com

Hi there –

Nate Sarr, our IR+ developer who usually handles these questions is on vacation this week (although I bet he’s checking email at least off and on ;).

While I am not a techie – I wouldn’t be able to help you with an installation or a handle server – I *might* be able to help with your situation!

The slightly non-intuitive thing about IR+ is that even though you are an administrator, you don’t (as I understand it) automatically have *submission* rights to everything. You still need to set up a User group, add yourself to it, and then go to the Collection admin, and give that group rights to submit. That’s the really short answer! ;)  I am attaching a Word document that goes over the process in (excruciating…) detail, with screen shots for every step. Let me know if it would be better to send the file as a PDF, or – whatever.

I really hope this is the answer – if not, we’ll need to wait for Nate!

Thanks for your patience,

-Suzanne

Suzanne Bell

UR Research Projects Administrator, River Campus

University of Rochester

Rochester, NY 14627

585.275.9317

https://urresearch.rochester.edu

Researcher page: http://tiny.cc/YSRUq

Sep 5, 2012, 3:34:21 PM9/5/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like it might be the issue.  Let us know if this doesn't work.

-Nate

Bernard Shiundu

Sep 5, 2012, 3:39:20 PM9/5/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com

Actually when I said administrator, I should have clarified that I am in a group that has admin rights on the collection - so no. Didn't work

Nate Sarr

Sep 5, 2012, 3:42:02 PM9/5/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Is this a child level collection or a parent collection?

Nate Sarr

Sep 5, 2012, 4:12:20 PM9/5/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
I answered my own question - it is a top level collection.  Can you go to administration -> Institutional Collection Administration and select the properties link for the collection.  Then select the permissions and groups tab.  send me a screen shot of this.  Look at pages 39 - 47 of the admin manual here: admin manual for info and screen shots on Institutional Collection Administration  - this would be where you would set up submission rights for collections.  Let me know how it goes.

-Nate

Bernard Shiundu

Sep 11, 2012, 9:45:40 AM9/11/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot attached.

Funny thing though .. On a lark I removed the group from the collection and added it again and now I can submit so problem solved!! Also, all new collections now have the "submit" option once the appropriate permissions are applied ..

Looking at it I think the problem arose because:
1. I initially had not added the admin user (myself) to the group that I had assigned permissions to the two collections
2. I was also working with multiple tabs and (after adding the admin to the group) I kept on refreshing the page with the submit instead of restarting the submission process - which simply kept loading the cached copy
Collection Permissions.png

Nate Sarr

Sep 11, 2012, 9:50:09 AM9/11/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Good news!  Glad you got it fixed.  I would agree that the caching might have been a problem.  Let me know if you run into any other issues.

-Nate