Upload size limits

Paul Hoffman

Jan 13, 2012, 1:50:29 PM1/13/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Does IR+ enforce any limit on the size of an uploaded file, or is it
just up to Apache and Tomcat?

We don't have LimitRequestBody set in Apache's config, but it looks as
though Tomcat is limiting upload to its default maxPostSize (2MB); when
adjusting that (in Server/Service/Connector in server.xml) is it
necessary to adjust it for both HTTP (port 8080) and AJP (port 8443)
connectors, or just for the HTTP one?

Also, is there anything else I need to know about increasing our file
upload size limit?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Systems Librarian

Nate Sarr

Jan 13, 2012, 2:05:22 PM1/13/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

   We don't run Apache in front of our instance of IR+ so I'm not sure how this would affect IR+ with it's settings.  I don't think the maxPost size in tomcat affects file uploads as we do not have it set and can upload files much larger than 2mb.  I think that setting might be only related to the data within the form and not affect the multipart file upload.

   We have set the file size in the struts.properties file to limit the size of the file:

// about 9.3 GB

struts.multipart.maxSize =

10000000000

What really limits the size of the file upload is the http which protocol I believe is 2GB.  On campus we have uploaded files as big as 200 MB without much trouble.  Off campus depending on network speed files much bigger than a few MB takes quite a bit of time and can be impractical.

Hope this helps.

-Nate

Paul Hoffman

Jan 13, 2012, 2:10:54 PM1/13/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Nate,

Thanks as always for your quick and helpful answer. It turns out that
an upload we thought was rejected was actually just very slow. It's
good to know about the setting in struts.properties -- we'll have a
discussion here about maybe bringing the limit down for our folks as I
don't believe anyone's going to get close to 1GB (though I could be
wrong!).

Paul.