Struts vulnerabilities

Paul Hoffman

Sep 12, 2017, 9:17:51 AM9/12/17
to irplus
We're still running several instances of IR+ 2.0.8 and 2.1; should we be concerned about the two Struts vulnerabilities discovered this year?

http://struts.apache.org/docs/s2-052.html ("RCE attack is possible when using the Struts REST plugin with XStream handler to deserialise XML requests")
http://struts.apache.org/docs/s2-053.html ("RCE attack is possible when developer is using wrong construction in Freemarker tag")

Thanks,

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Software Manager

Paul Hoffman

Sep 12, 2017, 9:27:10 AM9/12/17
to irplus
Following up to my own post with a naive Java question...

Can we upgrade to the latest versions of struts2-core and struts2-spring-plugin simply by replacing the old JAR files in WEB-INF?  If so, I see where to download the former but not the latter -- any ideas?

The last time I tried to upgrade something by editing ivy.xml and rebuilding, the build failed -- fortunately, that wasn't a problem at the time, but I would really like to just shuffle some files around rather than doing a full rebuild if that's possible.

Thanks again,

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Software Manager

Nathan Sarr

Sep 12, 2017, 9:54:11 AM9/12/17
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

If you decide to try upgrading again I’ve been keeping the following branch up to date:

You should be able to get the struts2-spring-plugin jar here:

Best,
-Nate

Paul Hoffman

Oct 12, 2017, 10:21:31 AM10/12/17
to irplus
Nate,

Thanks.  Can we upgrade to the latest versions of struts2-core and struts2-spring-plugin simply by replacing the old JAR files in WEB-INF?

Paul.

nate...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 11:25:50 PM10/12/17
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

I believe so - but I can’t say for sure you would have to test. If you run into any issues you could check the differences in the files that have errors and make tweaks as required.

-Nate

Sent from my iPhone