Sorting items by contributor

Paul Hoffman

Feb 14, 2012, 3:52:41 PM2/14/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any thought of adding the ability to sort items by
(first) contributor when browsing? I can see from the source code that
this would actually not be so simple, but it seems odd to our librarians
that they can sort by other columns and not this one.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman <pa...@flo.org>
Systems Librarian

Nate Sarr

Feb 14, 2012, 4:08:50 PM2/14/12
to irp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

    This is a good question.  Actually I don't think we have talked about this one.  You are right it might be difficult to implement.  I'm not sure how it would work logically speaking - since there can be more than one contributor for a given work - and what happens when the same author has multiple publications with different collaborator sets - since order often has meaning?   Also what would need to be done with multiple contribution types - composer vs arranger of the work - if anything?

   I'm not quite sure if there would be a good way to implement a sort on the contributors.  The techincal cost might be pretty high as well.

Hope this helps,
-Nate