using several ironworkers to access facebook graph api concurrently and failing to retrieve information

Assaf Mendelson

Mar 26, 2012, 7:22:46 PM3/26/12
to IronWorker
I know this is less of an ironworker issue, but thought maybe
someone's seen this here and knows the answer:

We have tried to speed up our app by getting the initial information
on a user of our app through a set of parallel calls using several
ironworkers (dev.iron.io) on a ruby on rails based system. we have all
the tokens needed. When it comes to retrieving "likes" - it fails.
Initially it failed ones in a while, now it fails all the time. So we
end up with an empty-set for likes which crushes our app.

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions to why this may be occurring?

Can it be that the graphAPI has some problem with concurrent access to
the same fbID?

Help appreciated. Thanks - Assaf

Chad Arimura

Mar 26, 2012, 8:49:17 PM3/26/12
to ironwork...@googlegroups.com
Hey Assaf,

Is there a stacktrace you can share with the list? Do you know how many times you are hitting the Fb API in a given minute?

Chad

--
Chad Arimura
http://www.iron.io

@chadarimura @getiron

Assaf Mendelson

Mar 27, 2012, 3:18:41 AM3/27/12
to ironwork...@googlegroups.com

I will try to see if we can get a stacktrace.

Do you know of a limit to the number of hits on FB API per minute?

Thanks

-          Assaf

Assaf Mendelson

Co-Founder, CEO

M: +972-54-4805875

image001.jpg

Rajesh Koilpillai

Mar 27, 2012, 12:19:13 PM3/27/12
to as...@fbhatchery.com, ironwork...@googlegroups.com
Hi Assaf,

This question talks about FB API limits which are actually bound to a FB token from a certain IP address. (600 queries in 600 seconds, 100M calls per 24 hours per app limit).

Thanks,
- Rajesh Koilpillai
image001.jpg

Chad Arimura

Mar 27, 2012, 12:46:31 PM3/27/12
to ironwork...@googlegroups.com, as...@fbhatchery.com
Hey Guys,

Some tasks may share IP's, but for the most part running many tasks concurrently should yield different IP addresses.

I think I've seen some customers hitting whatismyip type services to ensure unique IP's for various crawling needs.

Chad

--
Chad Arimura
http://www.iron.io