Iron Foundry Windows Stemcell?

Dan Sherbeck

Jul 2, 2014, 1:58:53 PM7/2/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm just getting up to speed on the Iron Foundry and Cloud Foundry architecture. As far as I can tell from the documentation, there is no stemcell for use with an Iron Foundry deployment. Instead, you configure a Windows server with IF Warden, IF DEA, etc yourself, but there is currently no way to deploy a Windows stemcell with BOSH. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Dan

brannon.jones

Jul 2, 2014, 2:14:50 PM7/2/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

That's correct.  There is no BOSH support for Windows and therefore no stemcell that you can use with BOSH.

You can deploy the rest of CloudFoundry with BOSH.  You then configure your Windows components so they can talk to the core CF components (i.e. the NATS server).

We do have some setup scripts that should work for most people deploying IF to a Windows server.

Brannon

Button, Brian

Jul 2, 2014, 2:25:31 PM7/2/14
to <ironfoundry@googlegroups.com>
Hi, Dan,

That's correct for now. Building a bosh agent for windows is a big job and the IF community has not started planning for it yet. We know it is an important part of becoming a fully integrated piece of the CF infrastructure, so it will get addressed.

Licensing could also be an issue with a windows stemcell, as opposed to something open source like Ubuntu.

The core team has been talking with the Pivotal group responsible for Bosh, and we're following the progress of the golang agent. The desire is that any windows agent that gets built will inherit most of its functionality from that, rather than starting from scratch.

Does anyone in the community want to take a stab at this, or want to start talking about what we could do together to implement it?

Bab

---
Brian Button | Product Manager, Application Services
CenturyLink Cloud

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.

David Laing

Jul 3, 2014, 3:39:24 AM7/3/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in being involved.

What is the status / opinion of Uhuru's Windows BOSH agent?

https://github.com/UhuruSoftware/bosh-dotnet

Brian Button

Jul 7, 2014, 9:52:04 AM7/7/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hi, David,

I haven't used it, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work just fine.

One of ironfoundry's main goals, however, is to stay as close to the original CF codebase as possible, as we've found that maintenance becomes more difficult as we drift away from it. That's why we'd like to start from Pivotal's golang bosh agent and work to make it Diego-like in supporting multiple platforms.

If you'd be interested in helping with that, we'd love to talk more!