Mongodb Hello World problem and messaging

Alexander Makarenko

May 31, 2014, 7:09:43 AM5/31/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I want to say that simple Hello World app is not working with the mongodb service + .net driver. So probably mongodb is not a choice for deployment.

 Unhandled Exception: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.
    at MongoDB.Bson.IO.BsonBuffer.LoadFrom(Stream stream, Int32 count) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Bson\IO\BsonBuffer.cs:line 310
    at MongoDB.Bson.IO.BsonBuffer.LoadFrom(Stream stream) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Bson\IO\BsonBuffer.cs:line 280
    at MongoDB.Driver.Internal.MongoConnection.ReceiveMessage[TDocument](BsonBinaryReaderSettings readerSettings, IBsonSerializationOptions serializationOptions) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Internal\MongoConnection.cs:line 475
    at MongoDB.Driver.Internal.MongoConnection.SendMessage(MongoRequestMessage message, WriteConcern writeConcern, String databaseName) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Internal\MongoConnection.cs:line 536
    at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollection.InsertBatch(Type nominalType, IEnumerable documents, MongoInsertOptions options) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Core\MongoCollection.cs:line 1179
    at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollection.Insert(Type nominalType, Object document, MongoInsertOptions options) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Core\MongoCollection.cs:line 1012
    at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollection.Insert(Type nominalType, Object document) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Core\MongoCollection.cs:line 996
    at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollection.Insert[TNominalType](TNominalType document) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Core\MongoCollection.cs:line 960
    at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollection`1.Insert(TDefaultDocument document) in C:\build\mongo-csharp-driver\Driver\Core\MongoCollection.cs:line 1856
    at test4.Program.Main(String[] args) in d:\Project\Cloud\temp\test4\test4\Program.cs:line 79

I have created mongodb based message exchange system to communicate between deployed apps but I can use other systems like rabbitmq. Will this service be included in the free plan? Maybe you know when.

Thanks,
Alex

Eric Lee

Jun 2, 2014, 1:30:27 PM6/2/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for letting us know about this problem.  We’ll definitely investigate it at some point but I’m not sure exactly when.

Eric

Eric Lee

Jun 2, 2014, 4:34:48 PM6/2/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com

By the way, would it be possible for you to share the source code for this app somewhere so I can try to repro the problem?  Thanks!

Eric

Thanks for letting us know about this problem.  We’ll definitely investigate it at some point but I’m not sure exactly when.

Eric

Jun 3, 2014, 6:40:48 AM6/3/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric

I have attached the test project with manifest. It uses "mongoq" service name.

Thanks,
Alex
mongotest.7z

Eric Lee

Jun 3, 2014, 12:43:28 PM6/3/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Alex.  I tried pushing your test app to beta.ironfoundry.me and it appears to work fine without crashing for me.  I pushed it multiple times and restarted it a couple of times without any crashes.  Did you get the call stack below from the CF logs?  Did you have any other apps also bound to the mongoq service?  I think that something you’re doing is causing the mongodb service instance to crash but I don’t know what that might be yet.

Eric

Jun 3, 2014, 3:04:00 PM6/3/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Yes Eric, the exception details are provided in the log

I have published this app again and when I investigate the log via "cf logs mongotest --recent" I see

 Unhandled Exception: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.

Also I have this error with my other mongodb apps on Iron Foundry.

Thanks,
Alex

Alexander Makarenko

Jun 18, 2014, 4:59:25 AM6/18/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I just want to notify that I don't experience any problems with mongodb service anymore.

Thank you very much.
Alex

Brian Button

Jun 18, 2014, 11:50:44 AM6/18/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
That's great news, Alex.

What we did was to change a default configuration setting on the mongodb deployment that told it to restart the mongo process if it crashed. When it didn't restart, you got into a situation where the service broker was stuck, like you saw. By telling it to restart, it recovered its state, the service broker worked correctly, and all was well :)

Thanks again for helping us figure this out, Alex!

bab

Brian Button
Product Manager, Application Services
Tier 3/CenturyLink Cloud