Problem installing iron foundry - Services not all starting

Charlie Baum

Jul 23, 2014, 5:28:40 PM7/23/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
So it appears that I got Iron Foundry installed on a Server 2012 box. At the end of the install script I get the "IronFoundry Installed" message so I think I'm good.

When I try and run the start-services script it bombs out on the IFDeaSvc service.  If I try and manually start that service, I get an error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The path to the executable section under the service in the services.msc looks suspect to me.  It shows this:

C:\Ruby193\bin\ruby.exe -C D:\IronFoundry_build\0.0.0\dea_ng\bin dea_winsvc.rb C:\IronFoundry\dea_ng\config\dea.yml

That can't be right.  D:\IronFoundry_Build is the location of my build directory.  The other services are running from the C:\IronFoundry directory, which is where everything installed to.  What happened with the IronFoundry DEA service?  How can I go about fixing this?  What should that service be executing?

Button, Brian

Jul 24, 2014, 10:03:24 AM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Charlie,

That is something that I don’t believe I’ve ever seen before. We’ll look into reproducing it and get back to you as quickly as we can. It does seem unusual to have a path to your build folder in there...

Thanks!
bab

--
Brian Button | Product Manager, Application Services
CenturyLink Cloud

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.

Charlie Baum

Jul 24, 2014, 10:34:07 AM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to try rebuilding from source first.  I noticed my start and stop service PS1 files had a bunch of wingdings in them.  Maybe something got fubar along the way.

Button, Brian

Jul 24, 2014, 10:47:33 AM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
I’ve seen that happen before when they get edited with notepad maybe??? Something, by default, saves them in a different encoding than we intend and that happens.

bab

--
Brian Button | Product Manager, Application Services
CenturyLink Cloud

Charlie Baum

Jul 24, 2014, 4:01:37 PM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I might be ok.  Spun up another VM instance of 2012 r2 and ran through the install.  Install was successful and the services started.  The path still seems strange for the DEA service which is:

C:\Ruby193\bin\ruby.exe -C C:\if_build\0.0.0\dea_ng\bin dea_winsvc.rb C:\IronFoundry\dea_ng\config\dea.ym

Does that look right for the DEA service?  The build is under the 0.0.0 directory but it doesn't look like the other two services.  Hopefully I'm on the right track here.

Button, Brian

Jul 24, 2014, 4:03:40 PM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Charlie,

Those files seem to get corrupted when they are edited with notepad. I guess it saves into unicode by default, which causes that. They files have been fixed and committed back into the repo. You can fetch them down and they should be correct now. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the DEA Service not starting, I believe I may know what is causing that. The primary DNS on the windows machine needs to be set to the IP address of the microbosh server. The system needs that to resolve the IP addresses of the other components in the system, like the loggregator. I’ve updated the README file on the if_release repo to include instructions to do this.

HTH,
bab

--
Brian Button | Product Manager, Application Services
CenturyLink Cloud

Button, Brian

Jul 24, 2014, 4:05:14 PM7/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that is 100% correct. It runs ruby against the DEA source code, which is in the install folder. And the config file was transmogrified during the install to reflect the settings from the sample DEA.yml file you gave us, and put into the c:\ironfoundry folder. That’s all perfect.

bab