Problem with custom EventMachine and SSL

Aaron Huber

Nov 17, 2014, 9:41:55 PM11/17/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
We're trying to switch out our Cloud Foundry environment to use an S3-compatible object store instead of NFS for the blobstore, and running into a problem with Iron Foundry not being able to download any objects due to not having SSL support.  When testing with a simple script using the EM HTTPRequest it just throws this error:

Encryption not available on this event-machine

We're able to get it working using the standard eventmachine x86-mingw32 but as soon as we replace it with the one custom compiled from your git fork the SSL support goes away.  So a couple of questions:

1) Is it really necessary to use the non-standard EM gem?  What will break if we don't?

2) Any idea how to compile your gem to get SSL support?  I've tried about 30 different combinations using everything I can find in Google today without any luck.  :-(

Aaron Huber
Intel Corporation

Aaron Huber

Nov 18, 2014, 12:06:16 PM11/18/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
I got it working for anyone else that needs this:
  1. Download the OpenSSL package from http://packages.openknapsack.org/openssl/openssl-1.0.0k-x86-windows.tar.lzma (using an older version to line up with what's in the Ruby 1.9.3 package that IF is using).
  2. Extract the files to somewhere on your system.
  3. When installing eventmachine, point to the OpenSSL files so it can compile against it:

    gem install eventmachine-1.0.3.gem -- --with-opt-dir=C:\openssl-1.0.0k-x86-windows

  4. The eventmachine gem now has SSL support.
Aaron

Brian Button

Nov 21, 2014, 10:32:02 AM11/21/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,

I'm glad you found a fix for that, and thanks for posting it.

I'm assuming you're installing our fork of eventmachine, right? We had to make some changes in it to work correctly on Windows, which is why I'm asking. If you're using the stock one, you might see some issues.

bab

Brian Button
Product Manager, Application Services
CenturyLink Cloud
@brianbuttonxp

Aaron Huber

Nov 24, 2014, 11:11:48 AM11/24/14
to ironf...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we're still using your forked code.  The only difference from your instructions is pointing it at the OpenSSL headers at install time so it compiles in the HTTPS support.

Aaron