Error when uploading big files

Aan Kurniawan

Oct 30, 2009, 3:57:41 AM10/30/09
to irod-chat
Dear all,

I tried to upload a big file (size>100MB) using Jargon and got the following errors:

xception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.RuntimeException: IOException in thread.
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:96)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.put(Unknown Source)
    ... 2 more
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.RuntimeException: IOException in thread.
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:96)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.put(Unknown Source)
    ... 2 more
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.RuntimeException: IOException in thread.
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:96)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.put(Unknown Source)
    ... 2 more
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.RuntimeException: IOException in thread.
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:96)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.put(Unknown Source)
    ... 2 more
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.RuntimeException: IOException in thread.
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands$TransferThread.put(Unknown Source)
    ... 2 more
java.io.IOException: read() -- couldn't read complete packet
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.read(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.readHeaderLength(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.readHeader(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.readMessage(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.irodsFunction(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.irodsFunction(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.operationComplete(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSCommands.put(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.irods.IRODSFile.copyFrom(Unknown Source)
    at edu.sdsc.grid.io.local.LocalFile.copyTo(Unknown Source)
    at testing.FileOperations.main(FileOperations.java:41)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: iRODS socket connection is closed.
    ... 11 more

Anyone can help me?

mw...@diceresearch.org

Nov 2, 2009, 2:36:46 PM11/2/09
to irod...@googlegroups.com, mconway
Hello Aan,

Our Jargon development is currently in transition. Our new Java/Jargon developer Mike Conway
has just joined the team today. Welcome Mike !! I am sure Mike will address this problem and
other issues once he settles in.

Mike

Shunde Zhang

Nov 2, 2009, 6:25:49 PM11/2/09
to irod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aan,

Jargon is going to use ports specified in your server config.

# svrPortRangeStart and svrPortRangeEnd - A range of port numbers can be
# specified for the server's parallel I/O communication port.
# svrPortRangeStart specifies the first allowable port number and
# svrPortRangeEnd specifies the end of the range.
# These can also be set via irodssetup which adjusts the
# config/irods.config file (setting SVR_PORT_RANGE_START/END).
# $svrPortRangeStart=20000;
# $svrPortRangeEnd=20199;

I think those are the default value. You can change them to something else. For us, we use "svrPortRangeStart=40000 svrPortRangeEnd=41000"
These ports are only used for multi-threading file transfer. You may need to check if these ports are opened on your firewall.
(It looks like a connection issue.)

Regards,
Shunde Zhang
Australian Research Collaboration Services (ARCS), "Providing collaboration services and tools for the Australian research community"
eResearch SA (eRSA), "Enabling Discovery, Innovation and Collaboration through eResearch"
School of Computer Science, The University of Adelaide, "Life Impact"

mconway

Nov 4, 2009, 6:50:24 AM11/4/09
to irod...@googlegroups.com

Aan,

Just wanted to let you know I'm concentrating on this right now. I have a
test case I am trying to run against my newly installed local irods. Once
I get it to work or replicate the bug, I'll let you know.

If you are in a really big bind, we can make a quick fix to bump up the max
file size so that your puts don't kick off the parallel transfer code in
Jargon. I think that would serve as a work-around.

Thanks for your patience, I will spin up on this as fast as I can!

Mike

Danilo Mendonça Oliveira

Feb 2, 2015, 2:44:40 PM2/2/15
to irod...@googlegroups.com, mco...@email.unc.edu
I'm having the same problem. Setting the enviroment variables didn't work for me.

Mike Conway

Feb 10, 2015, 1:04:09 PM2/10/15
to Danilo Mendonça Oliveira, irod...@googlegroups.com, mco...@email.unc.edu
Wow that is a really really old version of jargon?

Are you pulling this in from Maven?  Where did it come from?

MC

Danilo Mendonça Oliveira

Feb 10, 2015, 1:23:31 PM2/10/15
to Mike Conway, irod...@googlegroups.com, mco...@email.unc.edu