Feedback required: should iRedMail offer calendar, contacts, ActiveSync services?

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 1:12:16 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

As you already know, iRedMail provides Roundcube for webmail, but no calendar
service (CalDAV) and contacts service (CardDAV), so maybe we cannot call iRedMail
as a "full-featured" mail server solution.

I have some questions for you:

*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?
*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?
*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?
*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
optional.

Please don't hesitate to let me know your opinions. Thank you very much for your
feedback. :)

[1] SOGo groupware: http://sogo.nu/
[2] Horde groupware: http://horde.org/

----
Zhang Huangbin, founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 1:47:21 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

Yes calendars and contacts are essential. As well as notes.

sogo, as it can provide 100% native outlook/exchange compatibility. Lets face it, outlook dominates the email market.

We have been using sogo with iredmail for over 1 year in production.

Everything is functioning , including the mail filters, vacation messages , etc

Currently we use both sogo and roundcude, roundcude provides a nice simple user interface for people only concerned with email. Sogo provides a complete web based outlook, and does everything extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> -- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
>
> - Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
> - Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
> ---

蔡建鑫

Sep 18, 2014, 1:49:35 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Yes Calendar and contacts are important

劍心

Bruce MacKay

Sep 18, 2014, 1:49:56 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
We use ownCloud for shared storage, CalDAV and CardDAV. It can be easily configured to use your iRedMail LDAP users. RoundCube is available as an ownCloud module, although I’ve not used it.
signature.asc

Jakob Holderbaum

Sep 18, 2014, 1:51:32 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Nice summary!

I think contact and calendar management would complete the awesome suite
which iRedMail already provides.

Cheers
Jakob
--
Jakob Holderbaum, M.Sc.
System Administration

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 1:59:02 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Bruce MacKay <bma...@razyr.net> wrote:

> We use ownCloud for shared storage, CalDAV and CardDAV. It can be easily configured to use your iRedMail LDAP users. RoundCube is available as an ownCloud module, although I’ve not used it.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

By the way, looks like ownClound doesn't support ActiveSync? correct me if i'm wrong.

Krešimir Mihalj

Sep 18, 2014, 2:00:33 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Calendar and contacts are essential, … I use for that Owncloud on separate server with LDAP backend (iRedMail LDAP), I wold like just to implement some kind connector and GUI in roundcube to OwnCloud's CalDAV/CardDAV… nothing to add since service exist, just to integrate it in one place….

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 2:05:28 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2014, at 2:00 PM, Krešimir Mihalj <kmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Calendar and contacts are essential, ... I use for that Owncloud on separate server with LDAP backend (iRedMail LDAP), I wold like just to implement some kind connector and GUI in roundcube to OwnCloud's CalDAV/CardDAV... nothing to add since service exist, just to integrate it in one place....

Did you evaluate SOGo or Horde?
How about run ownCloud/SOGo/Horde on the same iRedMail server?

Krešimir Mihalj

Sep 18, 2014, 2:13:17 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I tryed SOGo …. nice, but since I also need to provide cloud storage OwnCloud was better choice, same with Horde…. and I don’t like to confuse users with two services providing calendar and address book

….. another choice was Kolab which provide cloud storage, but it is so lousy documented and admin web GUI is errrm…. “unfinished” when I compare it with iRedMail LDAP admin (pro) …

Gavin

Sep 18, 2014, 2:16:01 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I also use owncloud for sharing of calendars etc.. LDAP for address books as owncloud can proxy to them. All works flawlessly. I would say Calendars and address books etc are essential, but no need to re-invent the wheel, leverage off owncloud.

I use horde for my web mail interface, love the AJAX  interface. I have a friend who uses an "old" version of horde, from back in the Clark Connect days because it allows him to apply filters to his mail using the webmail interface, can't do that with recent versions as far as I can tell.

--
Regards,
Gavin

Bruce MacKay

Sep 18, 2014, 2:16:30 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
OwnCloud is not ActiveSync friendly. Mentioning the word “Outlook” seems to get you snarked at in the community with helpful suggestions like “use a different mail client”.

For us OwnCloud is primarily for file shares. We have it running on a relatively small server instance with a very large OpenStack Swift object store. This is much more cost effective and infinitely scalable.

OwnCloud shared contacts and calendars were a side benefit for our smaller customers. Most of our larger clients are already using Outlook/Exchange so ActiveSync is a non-issue.

OwnCloud has been very useful in helping them break the bad habit of sending large files as attachments.
signature.asc

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 2:38:49 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Looks like you guys prefer Roundcube + OwnCloud, not a groupware suite like SOGo/Horde.

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 2:39:53 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Owncloud is fine for providing file storage and a dropbox like solution.

however, for email and sogo is about the way togo.

When sogo is correctly setup wih iredmail it fully replaces exchange.

you can still connect your own cloud to its caldav and carddav services to.provide interipetability with owncloud.

most of the owncloud email enhancements are unofficial plugins that have issues.

next thing to consider, is that owncloud for providing groupware lacks a fully integrated webinterface for email management. (signatures, forwarding, vacation messages, server side filtering, activsync, shared calendars, etc)

Sent from my iPhone

Martin Lambev

Sep 18, 2014, 2:40:40 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I'm also using owncloud and iredmail, but now hosted on different instances, would be nice to merge them.

Martin

Robert Thomas

Sep 18, 2014, 2:47:04 AM9/18/14
to iredmail@googlegroups com

what about email archiving? since the world seems to be moving from pop to imap ... store sizes are getting huge and access times are getting slower...mailboxs of 50000 messages are common...

Gavin

Sep 18, 2014, 2:48:07 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
"next thing to consider, is that owncloud for providing groupware lacks a fully integrated webinterface for email management. (signatures, forwarding, vacation messages, server side filtering, activsync, shared calendars, etc)"
Not sure that's entirely correct. Owncloud shares calendars very well, of course it does not have signatures, forwarding vacation messages, server side filtering because it's not a mail/message server. Last I looked there was an app in the app library to hook it into roundcube. It does share files very well allows "outsiders" to upload large files bypassing the mail server (which is good).

--
Regards,
Gavin

Gavin

Sep 18, 2014, 2:48:57 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Excellent suggestion!! I'd like to see archiving of some sort as well..
--
Regards,
Gavin.

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 2:53:57 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
You can link the backends, from experience and provide a seemless solution.

It would seem none of you have used owncloud with sogo.

sogo also offers native compatibility with mobile devices, no apps or software required

they also have owncloud correctly merged

Sent from my iPhone

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:00:31 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Owncloud uses sabredav as its caldav server which is riddled with issues.

If.you use sogo, you would use their built in caldav backend for owncloud

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Sep 2014, at 8:47 AM, Gavin <ga...@orion-online.com.au> wrote:

[...]

Gavin

Sep 18, 2014, 3:05:10 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Well if sogo is better then that should be used.. I've just had a real bad time installing it on CentOS 6.5 I've never been able to get it installed.. I'll have another go at it tomorrow..
--
Regards,
Gavin

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:09:57 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
We are running centos, main thing is to get the config setup, once that's done.

The only maintenance required is a yum update and all the sogo components are updated.

I will admit it's a daunting task to get sogo + openchange + active sync correctly configured.

Sent from my iPhone

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:15:52 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Archiving...

Generally . one needs to keep 18months of email on the image set error and the rest in the archive. For us that's a few million mails in Iredmail :/

I would say an urgent would be maildir de-duplication and compression.

Otherwise . splitting of attachments and moving them to owncloud or serving them via web(http)

Indranil Kamulkar

Sep 18, 2014, 3:25:01 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Dear Zhang,
Yes very true it is necessary to offer calender/contacts services now ...
Yes lot of users heavily rely on calender/contacts now a days ... it has become a style now a days
I would prefer HORDE since the look and feel of HORDE is better than SOGo
Yes that will be better having both Roundcube and HORDE

--
-- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

- Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
- Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
---

Thanks & Regards,
Indranil C. Kamulkar

Disclaimer: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.

Kamil Srot

Sep 18, 2014, 3:26:09 AM9/18/14
to Gavin, ired...@googlegroups.com
I would also like email archiving with advanced search more than calendar/contacts functionality.

In my experience many users use webmail as last instance and even in cells they use imap/SMTP clients. And contacts are stored somewhere else/cloud.

iRM works great as mailserver, that's clear. The main question is: should it stick tightly with emails or try to cover more (groupware)?

Answer it is far to be easy, but essential to do good decision. In last resort it's up to Zhang and I would love to hear the direction iRM is heading to.

--
Kamil Šrot

Odesláno z mobilního telefonu. Omluvte prosím mou stručnost a sloh.

Peter Huncar

Sep 18, 2014, 3:28:43 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hello

1) calendar would be really nice addition to iRedMail
2) calendar=yes, contacts=not that much, but why not
3) SOGo
4) roundcube for sure

Thanks for great work.

P.

--
-- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

- Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
- Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
---

Peter Huncar

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 3:34:57 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Let's stick at mailing list topic, you can create a new topic to discuss archiving solution.

On Sep 18, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Robert Thomas <sup...@vom.com> wrote:

> what about email archiving? since the world seems to be moving from pop to imap ... store sizes are getting huge and access times are getting slower...mailboxs of 50000 messages are common...

You can try Dovecot with mdbox (instead of default Maildir) mailbox format, use
'ALT=/path/to/addition/storage' in 'mail_location=' parameter, then move old emails
to addition storage (e.g. a slow/cheap storage) and keep recent emails in SSD disks,
so mailbox access will be fast. Dovecot will access addition storage if user search
old emails.

It's not a archiving solution, but i guess it helps in your situation.

- http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox
- http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Altmove

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:36:21 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Sogo looks like outlook, which the majority of users are used to. However horde has allot of issues with windows clients and exchange interoperability.

Sent from my iPhone

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:39:47 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
We will have a full archiving system released for iredmail before the end of the year.

Currently we have over 10million emails archived.

Sent from my iPhone

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 3:46:43 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone used the calendar/caldav plugin for roundcude ?

Sent from my iPhone

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 3:47:02 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:25 PM, Kamil Srot <kamil...@nlogy.com> wrote:

> In my experience many users use webmail as last instance and even in cells they use imap/SMTP clients. And contacts are stored somewhere else/cloud.

People may store their personal calendar/contact on a cloud service, but how about
a calendar/contact server stores your company's confidential data? Just like you have
full control with iRedMail running on your server.

> iRM works great as mailserver, that's clear. The main question is: should it stick tightly with emails or try to cover more (groupware)?

How about ask in another way: Do people need calendar and/or contact service with
mail service?

> Answer it is far to be easy, but essential to do good decision. In last resort it's up to Zhang and I would love to hear the direction iRM is heading to.

I hardly agree with you.

Your feedback, feature requests will change and help correct the direction. You,
a end user, are part of the open source softwares running on your desktop/server.

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 3:49:38 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:38 PM, ad...@extremeshok.com wrote:

> We will have a full archiving system released for iredmail before the end of the year.
>
> Currently we have over 10million emails archived.

Would you mind sharing your experience in this mailing list, in a new topic? that would
be very interesting.

Again, please keep this thread focusing on calendar/contact service discussion.

Christopher Roberts

Sep 18, 2014, 3:56:47 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

Yes, desperately needed. You can't run a modern business without calendar and contacts - Exchange has them, iRedmail doesn't.

*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

Yes.

*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?

I am open to different approaches, but my gut feeling is that simple is best.

To that end we are currently moving to Radicale (http://radicale.org/). The thing I love about Radicale is that it was very simple to get working. After fighting with the better known calendaring servers Radicale was a breath of fresh air.

*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are optional.

Yes, but unfortunately I think there is only one decent solution for Roundcube and that is the MyRoundcube Calendar plugin. I say unfortunately, as it is a paid add-on.

Chris
--
Chris Roberts

Jan Bakuwel

Sep 18, 2014, 3:58:39 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhang,

First of all thanks for the great work you're doing with iRedMail.

On 18/09/14 17:11, Zhang Huangbin wrote:
> *) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

Yes, that would be great.

> *) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

Absolutely.

> *) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?

Still researching, no preference as yet. Didn't like Horde 20 years ago
but maybe it improved since then :-)

> *) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
> optional.

Roundcube is imho a well designed user friendly and clean interface.
Should at least remain optional.

cheers,
Jan

Zhang Huangbin

Sep 18, 2014, 4:02:48 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Christopher Roberts <chri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am open to different approaches, but my gut feeling is that simple is best.

Agree, the simpler the better. But client compatibility is what we care about too.

> To that end we are currently moving to Radicale (http://radicale.org/).

The last time i tested Radicale, it didn't work well with Apple devices, and there're
some related open issues in Radicale issue tracker.
https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale/issues?q=apple+is%3Aopen

Did you experience any issue?

Shafeek Sumser

Sep 18, 2014, 4:07:35 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhang,

Yes it is important to have a collaborative suite in these days.

I will opt for SOGo. Its a complete package. Sogo can be intergrated with iremail that will work great.

Thanks

Shafeek

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:
[...]

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 4:28:34 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Radical, is far to limited. Nice idea but it's lacks the development of sogo and sabredav

Sent from my iPhone

Christopher Roberts

Sep 18, 2014, 4:35:38 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
The last time i tested Radicale, it didn't work well with Apple devices, and there're
some related open issues in Radicale issue tracker.
https://github.com/Kozea/Radicale/issues?q=apple+is%3Aopen

Did you experience any issue?

I haven't tested with Apple devices yet. We're almost entirely Linux here.

Also worrying that the developer seems to believe that complying with standards should be sufficient. It should indeed but back in the real world dominated by companies that seem to care little about interoperability or standards compliance…

Chris.

Harald Kapper

Sep 18, 2014, 4:42:12 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Please let me know where I can get the low volume update-info-only news as this is crowding my inbox.

Nicolas Cauchie

Sep 18, 2014, 4:42:13 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Personally, I integrate Owncloud wich is a really good solution for carddav and caldav. I also integrate it to roundcube using (non-free) Roundcube plugins : carddavplus and caldav plus.

Optionnaly, users can use webdav to share files via the owncloud web interface.

But if I were you, I let admins choose between all solutions you already provide using a checklist before installation.

Cheers

Nicolas
--
-----

Norbert Groissböck

Sep 18, 2014, 4:42:13 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hej Zhang,

thanks a lot for your great work on iRedMail/iRedAdmin so far.

On 18.09.2014 07:11, Zhang Huangbin wrote:
> *) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

Definitely, would really appreciate it.

> *) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

Yes.

> *) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?

Don't really know SOGo. Last time I had to use Horde 4 years ago, I
definitely didn't like it.

I dont't know Kolab.org yet, but I would take a look at it. Looks like
they got a neat integration in RoundCube (if I understood correctly;
Kolab devs work at RoundCube (plugins)).

> *) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
> optional.

Roundcube should definitely stay.

Thank you in advance and
cheers,

Norbert

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 4:43:14 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I wish I had Linux users :)

Ours are either outlook (windows) or Apple (outlook or Mac mail)

With regards to simplicity: sogo does it all from a single provider. Also it's free. So one can provide a full groupware solution with a web interface without needing plugins and hacks or work around a

Sent from my iPhone

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 4:49:56 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
u can keep owncloud and  use sogo to provide the calendar/contacts . Your round cube plugins will still work.

With sogo you will get active sync, native exchange, server side filters,
Calendar Sharing,
Etc

The main thing is your using sabredav to provide caldav and carddav, not own cloud.

Owncloud is a webinterface.

Sogo provides a Better solution to sabredav, unless you go the atmail route and rewrite large parts of sabredav to get it to work correctly with all main clients.

your existing infrastructure and use

Sent from my iPhone

Ian Knight

Sep 18, 2014, 4:53:35 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
We are using the calender_plus module from myroundcube with a sabredav backing on top of the standard iredmail install -( i believe its a few quid for the calender_plus module for roundcube so dont see anyway this could be bundled with it )- this then gives us the remote calender sharing ability with apple/mozilla lightning etc etc and works quite well. (they do also have a carddav plugin which again does work with sabredav - but for some reason i removed it before i went live with our installation - must have had some issues with it that i dont recall now - but that was over 6months ago - will revisit it in the future)

--
Ian
34SP.com

Ian Knight

Sep 18, 2014, 5:00:51 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Cant recall if it was sogo or owncloud, but did look into both of these
when setting up our mailsystem, but one of them "RELIED" on a very old
version of sabredav, meaning had to keep very old packages around which
is why we ruled it out (but cant recall which one it was now)

--
Ian
34SP.com

ad...@extremeshok.com

Sep 18, 2014, 5:38:01 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Sogo provides their own repository with all the latest packages and dependencies.

http://www.sogo.nu/downloads/backend.html

Sent from my iPhone

Ian Perkins

Sep 18, 2014, 9:02:03 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
While I do not presently use calendaring or contact management in my
particular installation, they are useful features and I would use them if
they were available. I have no opinion regarding which package.

On 9/18/14, 1:11 AM, "Zhang Huangbin" <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>As you already know, iRedMail provides Roundcube for webmail, but no
>calendar
>service (CalDAV) and contacts service (CardDAV), so maybe we cannot call
>iRedMail
>as a "full-featured" mail server solution.
>
>I have some questions for you:
>
>*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services
>now?
>*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?
>*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or
>others? Why?
>*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware?
>both are
>optional.
>
>Please don't hesitate to let me know your opinions. Thank you very much
>for your
>feedback. :)
>
>[1] SOGo groupware: http://sogo.nu/
>[2] Horde groupware: http://horde.org/
>
>----
>Zhang Huangbin, founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/

Ian Perkins

Sep 18, 2014, 10:12:34 AM9/18/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I use Owncloud in a separate installation from my iRedMail installation
and I have been very pleased with it.

On 9/18/14, 2:38 AM, "Zhang Huangbin" <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:

>Looks like you guys prefer Roundcube + OwnCloud, not a groupware suite
>like SOGo/Horde.

Pg

Sep 19, 2014, 7:16:23 PM9/19/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Sogo

Sent from my iPhone

> On 18 Σεπ 2014, at 8:58, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Bruce MacKay <bma...@razyr.net> wrote:
>>
>> We use ownCloud for shared storage, CalDAV and CardDAV. It can be easily configured to use your iRedMail LDAP users. RoundCube is available as an ownCloud module, although I've not used it.
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience.
>
> By the way, looks like ownClound doesn't support ActiveSync? correct me if i'm wrong.

Arif Ikramul Azim

Sep 20, 2014, 12:27:15 AM9/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
If only one is selected beside roundcube, then it is sogo.

We use mysql backend with sogo. Horde front end is not attractive to our users.

Thanks and regards

Arif Ikramul Azim
System Analyst
ICT Cell, BWDB
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Isakov Maxim

Sep 20, 2014, 9:29:28 AM9/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I vote for SoGo

8.09.2014 09:11, Zhang Huangbin пишет:
> Dear all,
>
> As you already know, iRedMail provides Roundcube for webmail, but no calendar
> service (CalDAV) and contacts service (CardDAV), so maybe we cannot call iRedMail
> as a "full-featured" mail server solution.
>
> I have some questions for you:
>
> *) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?
> *) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?
> *) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?
> *) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
> optional.
>
> Please don't hesitate to let me know your opinions. Thank you very much for your
> feedback. :)
>
> [1] SOGo groupware: http://sogo.nu/
> [2] Horde groupware: http://horde.org/

Shamjith G

Sep 20, 2014, 10:14:49 AM9/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
My opinion is as below

*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

Of course, its high time for enterprise use.

*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

Yes

*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?

SoGo
I dont have hands on experience with sogo, but went through the website and seems to be better than horde

*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are optional.

That is the best option to give half mind users to think before switch

Regards/shamjith

Krešimir Mihalj

Sep 20, 2014, 10:58:21 AM9/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

Yes

*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

Yes

*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?

Sogo for ActiveSync with OwnCloud backend ,,,,,

*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
optional.

Both, but for Sogo option to use builtin CalDAV/CardDAV or OwnCloud's versions (provide address of server, OwnCloud must be installed separately)

Please don't hesitate to let me know your opinions. Thank you very much for your
feedback. :)

[1] SOGo groupware: http://sogo.nu/
[2] Horde groupware: http://horde.org/

----
Zhang Huangbin, founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/

Konrad Gajda

Sep 22, 2014, 5:20:17 AM9/22/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
*) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?

YES

*) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?

YES

*) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or
others? Why?

SOGo, ownCloud, I do not have experience with Horde

*) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
optional.

I have Roundcube and SOGo running together (end client can choice
according to the own preference).
Roundcube seems to be fast and reliable in combination with ownCloud
becomes even more interesting.

But for business end users SOGo is more powerfool whereas does not
require from end user sophisticated configuration of Outlook.
Powerful is not the best word but older clients are not genius in PCs
and they need something easy and friendly. Calendars in ownCloud are
outstanding but to sophisticated for dinos.

Regards

--
Konrad Gajda
Elektriciteitstraat 2

TVA BE0501.490.691

Bank KBC
IBAN: BE 93 7310 2751 8467
BIC: KREDBEBB

mailto:kon...@gajda.be
GSM +32 478 639 673

Andrew K Burley

Sep 22, 2014, 5:55:40 AM9/22/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Calendar/contacts services are definitely necessary.
However, unless they are available via Activesync / Exchange-compatible interfaces, our clients are unlikely to use them.
Native Outlook compatibility is important for supporting small business clients.

SoGo appears to support this via OpenChange. I don't know about the others.

AB

On 18 Sep 2014, at 3:11 pm, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:

[...]

Administrator

Oct 5, 2014, 10:56:02 AM10/5/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Am 18.09.2014 um 07:11 schrieb Zhang Huangbin:
> Dear all,
>
> As you already know, iRedMail provides Roundcube for webmail, but no calendar
> service (CalDAV) and contacts service (CardDAV), so maybe we cannot call iRedMail
> as a "full-featured" mail server solution.
>
> I have some questions for you:
>
> *) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?
> *) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?
> *) Which component(s) do you prefer? SOGo[1] groupware, Horde[2]? or others? Why?
> *) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware? both are
> optional.
>
> Please don't hesitate to let me know your opinions. Thank you very much for your
> feedback. :)
>
> [1] SOGo groupware: http://sogo.nu/
> [2] Horde groupware: http://horde.org/
>
> ----
> Zhang Huangbin, founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/

SOgo would be the appropriate extension due to compatibility and GUI

Kind Regards Thomas

Paul

Oct 7, 2014, 7:02:50 PM10/7/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Am 18.09.2014 07:11, schrieb Zhang Huangbin:
> Dear all,
>
> As you already know, iRedMail provides Roundcube for webmail, but no calendar
> service (CalDAV) and contacts service (CardDAV), so maybe we cannot call iRedMail
> as a "full-featured" mail server solution.
>
> I have some questions for you:
>
> *) Do you think it's time/necessary to offer calendar/contacts services now?
Yes
> *) Do you heavily rely on calendar/contacts services?
No
tine20 (www.tine20.org)
> *) Should we provide both Roundcube and, for example, SOGo groupware?
both are
> optional.
I´m used to Roundcube and I like it.

蔡建鑫

Oct 7, 2014, 9:35:29 PM10/7/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Yes CalDAV and CardDAV are important to my organization

---

Zhang Huangbin

Oct 12, 2014, 6:14:15 AM10/12/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

SOGo is now integrated in the latest iRedMail development version, it
requires CentOS 6, iRedMail with MySQL backend. You can check out
the latest source code to give it a try:
https://bitbucket.org/zhb/iredmail/src

Will support Ubuntu 14.04 later, and OpenBSD 5.6 (after it was released
on Nov 1).

SOGo integration will be available in iRedMail-0.9.0-rc2 (sorry, not
integrated it in 0.9.0-rc1) and iRedMail-0.9.0 final release.

Zhang Huangbin