Feedback require: phpMyAdmin-4.2.6 requires MySQL-5.5, what should we do on CentOS/RHEL 6?

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 6:16:53 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Since phpMyAdmin-4.2.3, it enforces the minimum PHP (5.3) and MySQL (5.5) versions,
but RHEL/CentOS 6 officially provides MySQL-5.1.x, so we can NOT use the latest
phpMyAdmin-4.2.6 on RHEL/CentOS 6.

Here comes the question, which option do you prefer on RHEL/CentOS 6?

1) Ship phpMyAdmin-4.2.2 and allow public access from external network.

NOTE: according to phpMyAdmin changelog, version 4.2.2 has some bugs and security issues.

2) Ship phpMyAdmin-4.2.2 and restrict access to localhost (127.0.0.1) by default.

3) Don't provide phpMyAdmin in iRedMail.

Another question is, do you use phpMyAdmin frequently or rarely? is it important for you?

Personally, I prefer option 3. Because as a user, i rarely use phpMyAdmin. As an iRedMail
maintainer, dropping it will reduce my workload because i can maintain less components.

----
Zhang Huangbin, Founder of iRedMail project: http://www.iredmail.org/
Available on BBM (BlackBerry Messenger).

Konrad Gajda

Jul 21, 2014, 6:23:21 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

3 :)

KG

--
-- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

- Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
- Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
---

Adam Ainsworth

Jul 21, 2014, 6:28:11 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I think removing phpMyAdmin would be the best option - let people make
their own choice if they need it

Adam

Kamil Šrot

Jul 21, 2014, 6:32:36 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
3 - I don't use phpMyAdmin (I use pgsql backend) and if I need, I use
command line client/my own admin interface.

Thanks!
--
Kamil

On 21.7.2014 12:21, Konrad Gajda wrote:
> 3 :)
>
> KG
>
> 21 lip 2014 12:16 "Zhang Huangbin" <z...@iredmail.org
> <mailto:z...@iredmail.org>> napisał(a):
> <mailto:iredmail%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> -- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
> openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
>
> - Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
> - Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
> ---
> Groups "iredmail" group.
> an email to iredmail+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:iredmail+u...@googlegroups.com>.

Kamil Šrot

nLogy s.r.o.
U Průhonu 32/1516, 17000, Praha 7
Mob: (+420) 736 124 004
email: kamil...@nlogy.com
www.nLogy.com

Unksi

Jul 21, 2014, 6:36:47 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm all for dropping support for phpMyAdmin, so 3. I don't use PHP based
MySQL clients and see them only as a potential exploit point in an
environment such as iRedMail (where there is no need to give access to
users). I'd advice people to use other clients (such as
cli/HeidiSQL/Sequel Pro) instead to access the databases.

--
-- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

- Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
- Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
---

Ian Knight

Jul 21, 2014, 6:36:48 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
On 21/07/14 11:26, Adam Ainsworth wrote:
> I think removing phpMyAdmin would be the best option - let people make
> their own choice if they need it

Agree with the above, in all honesty if people are running a mailserver
they should be able to handle commandline mysql they shouldnt need a
interface which slows things down and opens up more issues.

-
Ian

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 6:39:00 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:35 PM, Unksi <unk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm all for dropping support for phpMyAdmin, so 3. I don't use PHP based
> MySQL clients and see them only as a potential exploit point in an
> environment such as iRedMail (where there is no need to give access to
> users). I'd advice people to use other clients (such as
> cli/HeidiSQL/Sequel Pro) instead to access the databases.

I didn't realize you guys prefer to remove web applications for SQL management,
so i suppose you prefer to remove phpMyAdmin + phpPgAdmin + phpLDAPadmin?

Bruce MacKay

Jul 21, 2014, 6:40:16 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
#3 for all platforms. phpMyAdmin has a long history of security issues. It has been on our blacklist of utilities we ban from our networks and is one of the first things hackers scan for when they probe systems. This isn’t a sweeping generalization, but is based on years of monitoring IDS logs.

DevOps and SysAdmin staff should be using desktop clients to connect to databases through SSH.

Bruce @ Razyr Networks.
signature.asc

Matthew McClatchey

Jul 21, 2014, 6:40:17 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
3.

I can use the command line if I need to make changes. phpMyAdmin is easy
enough to install anyway, so if someone needs it they can install it.

Jef Heselmans

Jul 21, 2014, 6:41:44 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
3
I use Sequel Pro
Greets

Jef

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Bruce MacKay

Jul 21, 2014, 6:50:56 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I would vote to lose them all on all platforms. There are excellent desktop clients for all three services available for Linux, OS X and MS Windows.
signature.asc

Adam Ainsworth

Jul 21, 2014, 6:51:09 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I don't use these tools either - I connect over SSH with Navicat for
MySQL and JXplorer for LDAP

admin-at-extremeshok-dot-com

Jul 21, 2014, 7:08:27 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Replace phpmyadmin with http://www.adminer.org

Its a single php file that support both mysql and postgresql, more
secure and can be directly added to the web gui.

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 7:11:28 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 21, 2014, at 7:06 PM, admin-at-extremeshok-dot-com <ad...@extremeshok.com> wrote:

> Replace phpmyadmin with http://www.adminer.org
>
> Its a single php file that support both mysql and postgresql, more secure and can be directly added to the web gui.

I know adminer.php, you can simply copy the single PHP file to web server and that's all.

So the question is, do we need a web-based SQL management tool? or we just need a
phpMyAdmin alternative?

admin-at-extremeshok-dot-com

Jul 21, 2014, 7:19:29 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Personaly the we have removed phpmyadmin.

We find adminer makes life quicker for small sql edits and running
maintenance on the tables.

Ideal would be to have awstats and adminer added/integrated directly
with the iredmailpro web interface.

I cant see much reason for needing the ldap/sql management tools as
separate installations, I would say its more risky.

If the user wants them they can be added.

Bruce MacKay

Jul 21, 2014, 7:33:51 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
What’s the use case for web based database or LDAP tools?
signature.asc

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 7:45:20 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 21, 2014, at 7:33 PM, Bruce MacKay <bma...@razyr.net> wrote:

> What’s the use case for web based database or LDAP tools?

In the beginning, we provide web-based SQL/LDAP management tools to help
administrators manage SQL/LDAP data, it's handy.

I guess because they're optional components you can choose not to install during iRedMail
installation, so many of you didn't install them. But no one asked me why iRedMail ships
them and ask me to remove it due to security risk (or whatever reason).

Bruce MacKay

Jul 21, 2014, 8:01:58 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I would argue that the convenience factor is encouraging bad practice. If you are experienced enough to be mucking about in the service internals, you are knowledgable enough to install a more secure tool chain.

I’m all for reducing the complexity of what you have to support, especially when there is a fairly strong case to be made against including these tools.

You were wise and allowed admins to deselect the web tools during install so I suspect most of us never felt the need to suggest that they be discontinued, but now that you’ve asked...
signature.asc

Giulio Cervera

Jul 21, 2014, 8:26:05 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
i dont use mysql at all, but why do not consider SCL for CentOS 6?

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 8:35:16 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 21, 2014, at 8:23 PM, Giulio Cervera <giulio....@gmail.com> wrote:

> i dont use mysql at all, but why do not consider SCL for CentOS 6?
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL

If package is available in official (built-in) repository, i prefer to install it from official
repo instead of addition repo. Also, install mysql55 from addition repo so that we can
use phpMyAdmin? definitely no.

Looks like we got responds from experienced admins, all agree to remove phpMyAdmin
(and probably phpPgAdmin + phpLDAPadmin too), let's wait for some more time
to get more feedbacks.

admin-at-extremeshok-dot-com

Jul 21, 2014, 8:40:09 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please remove the tools.

Could you consider mariadb 10 , it will be the default on centos7 and is
the default on debian 7.

We have been running mariadb for over 1 year with iredmail.

Zhang Huangbin

Jul 21, 2014, 8:51:27 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 21, 2014, at 8:39 PM, admin-at-extremeshok-dot-com <ad...@extremeshok.com> wrote:

> Could you consider mariadb 10 , it will be the default on centos7 and is the default on debian 7.

*) Debian 7 doesn't have MariaDB in official apt repos.
*) MariaDB is supported in Ubuntu 14.04, and will be available on FreeBSD in next
release of iRedMail (already supported in latest development version of iRedMail).
*) We're waiting for EPEL repo for CentOS 7, when we have all dependent packages
available, you will get CentOS 7 support in iRedMail soon, including MariaDB support.

It's better to post off-topic questions in our online support forum, and keep this
mailing list as an announcement-only list:
http://www.iredmail.org/forum/

Ian Perkins

Jul 21, 2014, 8:52:53 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I have used for LDAP admin early on in my install (which is now
approximately 18 months along now), but not recently. I would say #3, as
there are other tools available and CLI.

Darran

Jul 21, 2014, 8:52:54 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I use webmin for server admin duties using PAM for authentication and removing modules I don't use.
There are SQL and LDAP modules if you need them.

Darran
Sent from my iPhone

Marcelo Gondim

Jul 21, 2014, 8:55:45 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhang,

Option 3. Because it gives more freedom and for those who use FreeBSD
and OpenBSD can use the ports as it is today and is always updated.

Lars Kjølen

Jul 21, 2014, 8:55:45 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Although they are all great products, but from a scurity point of view, I would prefer the pkg’s to be removed from distro.
I assume most of site admins have their «own way» dealing with this backend task.

- Lars

Giulio Cervera

Jul 21, 2014, 9:05:29 AM7/21/14
to iredmail
i'm not asking to add it back, i dont need it at all, u can count me for #3.

SCL is just the official and simple alternative on RH/CentOS 6

Fabricio Rodrigues Caseiro

Jul 21, 2014, 9:06:12 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com, Giulio Cervera
I dont use them, but its usefull in some use cases. I think you can replace phpMyAdmin by Adminer as an optional package for all distros.
--
E-mail enviado do meu celular Android usando K-9 Mail. Por favor, desculpe minha brevidade.

Mike Marcott

Gavin Roche

Jul 21, 2014, 10:31:44 AM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Option 3.

I never select phpmyadmin on install anyway. All my sql work is done on
command line. I'm a big fan of keeping things lean, mean and simple.
People always have the option to install them separately if they so choose.

Gavin..

reese101

Jul 21, 2014, 9:44:46 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Option #3 - this will be the best option for most all admins today.

Emmett Reese
www.acool.net
--
-- iRedMail: free, open source mail server solution for for Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
openSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.

- Web site: http://www.iredmail.org/
- Support Forum: http://www.iredmail.org/forum/
---
"iredmail" group.
email to iredmail+u...@googlegroups.com.

---

Gene Marsh

Jul 21, 2014, 9:44:46 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I also use webmin and would so any SQL management from there.

Sent from GM iPhone 5

awsh...@shirleynet.net

Jul 21, 2014, 9:44:46 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

I would suggest option 3, since I disabled phpMyAdmin in the Apache settings once I had iRedMail up and running.

Another option would be to see if you can add the remi repositories.  I've done this to get php55 and MySQL 5.5.  It's working fine and isn't messing up anything else.

Thanks,

Andy Shirley

Krešimir Mihalj

Jul 21, 2014, 9:44:48 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I use phpMyAdmin a lot, I secure it with .htaccess file with password since I need to connect to database from various locations…
It’s very important to me,

… ship compatible version for CentOS6 …. and create version for CentOS7 with newer PHPMyAdmin :)

I also use ValentinaStudio for connection to MySql database (for all platforms, connection true standard ports).

I vote for 1 with README about securing access (or 2 since anyone who need external access can easy enable it).

Robert Thomas

Jul 21, 2014, 9:44:46 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

Rob Thomas
sup...@vom.com
707.935.6316

Ow Boon Kok

Jul 21, 2014, 9:51:42 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com, ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi

3, don't really use phpmyadmin

Sent from my iPad

Nathan Adams

Jul 21, 2014, 9:56:48 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
#3 - I've found phpmyadmin to be too heavy to use. I provide
http://mywebsql.net/ to my users. Though I can see the benefits in
having a web based manager for people who are new to adminning certain
services. I personally find myself using phpldapadmin from time to time.

What I think is a good alternative is to remove phpmyadmin but add a
FAQ/help page to iredadmin that describe some of the tools they can use
to manage those services (screenshots and walkthrough of setup would be
very helpful). Specifically highlight and point out "thick clients". I'm
not overly worried about running an older version of a MySQL client on
my desktop, I'm very concerned about running an, out of date, web
application that is accessible to the outside world that may or may not
have exploits. This should be a prominent link so people don't miss it
when they log in for the first time.

My two cents.

Ted Bardusch

Jul 21, 2014, 9:58:21 PM7/21/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

Martin Lambev

Jul 22, 2014, 12:15:15 AM7/22/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Option #3,

I do not use phpMyAdmin at all on mail server, all work done by terminal.
Anybody that have basic knowledge to manage a mail server will be able to install it himself if needed.

Regards,

Martin
signature.asc

Rami Jnena

Jul 22, 2014, 8:31:07 AM7/22/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
option 3 is the best, I don't install niether use phpmyadmin. my work is done from command line which is the best for all system admins.

thanks

Rami M. Jnena
Computer Engineer
Mobile: 00972 59 9702495
Tel: 00972 8 2867338

Zhang Huangbin

Aug 20, 2014, 4:01:40 AM8/20/14
to Zhang Huangbin

On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:

> 3) Don't provide phpMyAdmin in iRedMail.

Dear all,

After waiting for several more days, i decided to remove both phpMyAdmin and
phpPgAdmin in iRedMail, and committed this change into iRedMail repository
moment ago. You have to use command line tools to manage MySQL/PostgreSQL
database by default, if you still prefer to use a web-based SQL management
tool, you can try Adminer (http://adminer.org), or other desktop applications.

Since it's not easy to manage LDAP data with command line tools, phpLDAPadmin
will stay.

Thank you very much for your feedback, and you now get what you want. :)

----
Hire Me. I'm looking for a full-time job outside China.

ad...@extremeshok.com

Aug 20, 2014, 6:19:28 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com, Zhang Huangbin
fantastic.

any eta on a non beta release ?

Sent from my iPad

Robert Kuehn (RKD)

Aug 20, 2014, 7:42:47 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com

I think http://www.chive-project.com/ would be a good substitute for each
option(OS)

MySQL-5.5, what should we do on CentOS/RHEL 6?

Miguel Vidal

Aug 20, 2014, 7:42:47 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I would prefer option 3 ("don't provide phpMyAdmin in iRedMail"). We don't use phpMyAdmin, it's a security risk on production.

my two cents

regards,

--m

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:
[...]

ad...@extremeshok.com

Aug 20, 2014, 8:30:52 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
FYI: Adminer has superseded chive, more secure, less requirements, more developers, more active community, etc

http://www.adminer.org

Sent from my iPhone

Konrad Gajda

Aug 20, 2014, 8:31:52 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Personally, I don't care about phpMyAdmin. What I really care is
security. Just for mail server even CLI interface is ok.

Option 3 = Yes

With regards
Konrad Gajda
+32 478 639 673

Fabian Santiago

Aug 20, 2014, 8:37:40 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
I'm good to go with option 3 as well. thanks.
Sincerely,

Fabian S.
862-432-2373

ad...@extremeshok.com

Aug 20, 2014, 8:48:04 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
You guys realize the decision has been made that he is going with option 3.

we can't use what ever we want

Sent from my iPhone

Fabian Santiago

Aug 20, 2014, 8:48:40 AM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
way to be a party pooper....

Jan Bakuwel

Aug 20, 2014, 8:55:14 PM8/20/14
to ired...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhang,

On 20/08/14 19:55, Zhang Huangbin wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Zhang Huangbin <z...@iredmail.org> wrote:
>
>> 3) Don't provide phpMyAdmin in iRedMail.
> Dear all,
>
> After waiting for several more days, i decided to remove both phpMyAdmin and
> phpPgAdmin in iRedMail, and committed this change into iRedMail repository
> moment ago. You have to use command line tools to manage MySQL/PostgreSQL
> database by default, if you still prefer to use a web-based SQL management
> tool, you can try Adminer (http://adminer.org), or other desktop applications.
>
> Since it's not easy to manage LDAP data with command line tools, phpLDAPadmin
> will stay.

Sorry for coming late to the party. LDAP directory can be easily managed
with tools like Apache Directory Studio.

So as far as I'm concerned, phpLDAPadmin can go too.

My two cents.

kind regards,
Jan