Firmware upgrade of IOIO-OTG using ioiodude on Ubuntu

Cheyenne Aberle

Apr 18, 2014, 7:26:28 AM4/18/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yati,
I'm trying to use the ioiodude application on Ubuntu 13.10. The ls /dev/IOIO* command returns /dev/IOIO0 when the board isn't in bootloader mode. When it is in bootloader mode the same command returns ls: cannot access /dev/IOIO*: No such file or directory. This even happens with sudo. Is there something I'm missing?
Also, regardless of bootloader mode or not, running the ioiodude application with the port option like this, ./ioiodude --port=/dev/IOIO0 versions, just hangs and doesn't return anything. Any pointers?

Thanks!

Scott Dunbar

Apr 18, 2014, 1:01:09 PM4/18/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Cheyenne,
This is kind of amazing as I'm going through the exact same stuff right now.  I started with Linux Mint 16 (based on Ubuntu 13 I believe) and had the same issue.  I have been experimenting with it quite a bit.  My machine dual boots and on the Windows side I'm able to do everything just fine.  However, the best I could get is for ioiodude to give me a versions in Linux.  I had to use Windows to do a firmware upgrade as, like you, it would only hang.  I tried to uninstall the modem manager (as the logs indicated that it was interacting with the IOIO) but it made no change.  I cannot consistently get the communication to work.  I've upgraded to the 5.0 firmware via Windows with no change on the Linux side - very inconsistent and never able to do a firmware upgrade.

I booted my machine with the newest Ubuntu off of a USB stick and was able to consistently get the "versions" command to work but not the firmware upgrade.  I'm still very new with IOIO and that's as far as I've gotten.  I'm likely to upgrade to 14.04 since I can consistently get it to do something.

I realize that this doesn't answer your question but I'm hoping to consolidate some learnings.

Cheyenne Aberle

Apr 23, 2014, 10:20:15 PM4/23/14
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Scott,
    Thanks for the information.  I tried some more, but finally gave in and upgraded my firmware using my work Windows XP machine.  Even after a suggested configuration wipe of the IOIO-OTG by Ytai, there was no change in the way Ubuntu 13.10 responded.  I never tried, but will probably soon move to Ubuntu 14.04 as well.

Ytai,
    Thanks for the support.