geeetech ioio otg : waiting for underlying connections

Nikolai Fiikov

May 24, 2015, 8:51:04 PM5/24/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
new Geeetech IOIO OTG.
ubuntu 14.10+openjdk7
the board id recognized as /dev/ttyACM0 (set to usb auto, red led on, dev permissions ok)

trying java -Dioio.SerialPorts=/dev/IOIO0 -jar HelloIOIOSwing.jar
hangs with [V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for underlying connection.
eventually would hang to handshake but it looks to me more of some kind of timeout effect ...

same with trying all client sw bundles: 504, 400 and 330.

tried to flash the bootloader.
booted the board using 34+gnd, green led blinked few times.
java -jar ioiodude.jar --port=/dev/IOIO0 versions hangs forever.
after that trying to boot again into bootloader mode, green led not blinking.

just powering up renders red led always on.

any suggestions how to get helloioio working ok much appreciated ?
how do i verify usb communication is working fine?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 24, 2015, 8:55:45 PM5/24/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

First, there's a udev rule on the Downloads page, just in case you're not sure about permissions etc.
If you cat or screen the device file, are you getting anything?
Also, have you tried a configuration wipe (see the ioiodude wiki page)?
Last, why would you buy from geeetech when you have a lot cost option from SeeedStudio that's guaranteed to be properly tested?

Nikolai Fiikov

May 25, 2015, 12:13:01 PM5/25/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
ok, thinks started working after troubleshooting modem-manager.

this is what geeetech shipped me with:
niki@fiykovm:~/Android/ioio-dude$ ./ioiodude  --port=/dev/ttyACM0 versions
IOIO Application detected.

Hardware version: SPRK0020
Bootloader version: IOIO0401
Application version: IOIO0400

@ ytai : my communication problem was related to modem manager. it was obtaining and then closing the serial port in an attempt to manage it as modem.
i've updated using-ioio-with-pc wiki page with instructions. hope you'd approve ;)

about geeetech vs. speedstudio, wasn't intentional in any way, simply picked first ebay option ...

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 26, 2015, 1:28:32 PM5/26/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for diagnosing this and thanks for making the wiki edit!
In the future, I recommend one of the official vendors (SparkFun or SeeedStudio), as I can guarantee that their production practices are excellent and that each individual board gets tested before being shipped. They are also the only ones paying royalty :)

Nikolai Fiikov

May 28, 2015, 2:38:59 PM5/28/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
roger that.