Speed Servo motor control via IOIO OTG

M. A.

May 19, 2015, 4:25:49 AM5/19/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Good day IOIO fans,

As part of my project, I have to build an Android app to control the speed of a servo motor, of course using the IOIO OTG, and I have to do that as fast as possible. So I would be extremely grateful for any of you who could point me to some resources or similar projects.

I had a look on the IOIO Wiki but didn't find it enough for me.

Many thanks in advance

heikki...@kolumbus.fi

May 20, 2015, 1:57:44 AM5/20/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Use ESC (electronic speed controller), if you have brushless motor, you have to use brushless controller, Then connect it to IOIO P-pin like any servo and use IOIO PWM functions.
There is however one strange thing when connecting ESC to IOIO: the ESC has a 3-pin connector like a standard servo, +,- and control. If you connect + and - to IOIO 5V, the ESC powers IOIO  ! if you do not want that happen, connect only the control pin to IOIO PWM-pin.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 20, 2015, 7:49:29 PM5/20/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
"As fast as possible" is not very descriptive. Please specify which events you want to limit the time between (for example, maximum time between PWM.setPulseWidth() is called and until the servo arm starts moving) and how much time you're allowing this to take. Based on that I can come up with an educated answer that is anywhere between "don't need to worry about it" to "impossible".

M. A.

May 21, 2015, 4:25:29 AM5/21/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ytai,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not being clear enough, but with "As fast as possible" I didn't mean to drive the motors in such a way, I meant to finish my app, i.e. to learn the corresponding IOIO libraries and interfaces and how to use them to reach my goal which is controlling the speed of servo motors.
So I would be very grateful if you could point me to what to read, to look for or to some tutorials. The servo I am using is DJI 2212/920KV, the one coming with the Flyver DJI kit

Many thanks

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 21, 2015, 8:42:43 PM5/21/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Your original question was slightly misleading. This motor is not a servo, but a brushless motor. Heikki's answer above is correct. This mostly has nothing to do with the IOIO. The IOIO-related piece is using a PwmOutput to generate a 50Hz PWM signal, with the pulse width varying between 1-2ms for controlling the speed.