IOIO no longer connecting to the computer

Kevin Chambers

Mar 6, 2016, 10:14:04 PM3/6/16
to ioio-users
Before when I connected the IOIO to my PC it would show up as connected to COM3. I was having some problems getting helloIOIO to work and tried to update the firmware.

To get into the proper mode I:
-Disconnected IOIO
-Shorted Boot pin to GND
-Connected IOIO PC
-Removed connection from boot to GND

Then instead of the yellow light flashing 5 times it just flashed continuously.

So I tried:
-Disconnected IOIO
-Shorted boot pin to GND
-shorted pin 1 to GND
-Connected IOIO to PC
-Removed connection from boot to GND
-Removed connection from pin 1 to GND (or left in connected, tried both ways)

Now no yellow flashing light at all.

I've tried
-Disconnected IOIO
-Shorted boot pin to GND
-shorted pin 1 to GND
-Connected IOIO to power supply
-Remove connection from boot to GND
-Removed connection from pin 1 to GND (or left in connected, tried both ways)
-Connected IOIO to PC

but it will not show up as connected to the computer so I can't flash the firmware.

Any ideas?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 6, 2016, 10:15:55 PM3/6/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
If you're now connecting the IOIO just to power, are you getting the LED to fast-blink?
Also, did you try connecting to a different port / different computer?

Kevin Chambers

Mar 6, 2016, 10:36:03 PM3/6/16
to ioio-users
Connected just to power I cannot get the led to fast blink, I've tried:
-Connecting it to power
-connecting boot to GND, connecting IOIO to power, removing connection from boot to GND
-Connecting boot to GND, connecting pin 1 to GND, connecting IOIO to power, removing connection from boot to GND, removing connection from pin 1 to GND

I tried with connecting the IOIO to a different port and with a different computer. No luck

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 6, 2016, 11:17:14 PM3/6/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

When you connect to power with the boot pin shorted, the LED should be on while the short is on, then blink a few times when you let go. Is this happening?

Kevin Chambers

Mar 7, 2016, 7:47:29 PM3/7/16
to ioio-users
When doing that, the yellow stat LED is on while I have the boot pin shorted to GND, but the second I remove the short from the boot pin to GND the yellow stat LED turns off right away. No blinking at all.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 9, 2016, 6:17:04 PM3/9/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
(I'm assuming this experiment has been done with no USB connection between the IOIO and the PC, i.e. a "cold" boot)

This is definitely not the behavior of a good board. Either something in the hardware or in the bootloader firmware is messed up. If you have a second IOIO or a PIC programmer you can try re-programming the bootloader on this board. Otherwise, I'd return the board to wherever you bought it from, sounds defective.

Kevin Chambers

Mar 13, 2016, 3:27:25 PM3/13/16
to ioio-users
That is correct.

I went out and bought another board which is working. Unfortunately I can't return this one due to soldering on connections before I realized it wasn't working. How can I reprogram it with the new IOIO?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Mar 13, 2016, 3:28:46 PM3/13/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Read the IOIO manager page on the wiki.