IOIO board was working, now isn't, yellow status LED flashes on and off

Neil Shepherd

Dec 15, 2013, 4:44:47 PM12/15/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all -

I have an IOIO project that's been working just fine with IOIO/Android* until now.

I haven't changed my IOIO code in a while, but now when i plug the android phone into the IOIO USB connector, the yellow status light flashes on and off repeatedly (any USB device seems to do this), but my program can't make a connection to the IOIO board.  The Android phone is charging OK, but I don't remember the status LED flashing before - is this an indication of an error condition on the board?   This all used to work beautifully until two days ago, my code hasn't changed, and none of my code tries to access the status LED.

Anyone know?

Thanks, Neil

* Detailed robotics project - external GPS, servos, external camera controllers, remote logging controlled through Android background service

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 15, 2013, 5:06:44 PM12/15/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Assuming this is a IOIO-OTG.
Fast blinking LED = your calibration data somehow got wiped.
Solution: plug in the IOIO to a PC (once). You don't actually have to do anything on the PC, the IOIO will calibrate its clock according to the host's USB clock.

Neil Shepherd

Dec 15, 2013, 6:56:40 PM12/15/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ytai  - it's not an OTG board, it's a Sparkfun board from about a year back.  I'm trying to stick with the older board so my piggybacked board doesn't need to switch pinouts for power.

Thanks,
Neil

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 16, 2013, 8:14:47 PM12/16/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
OK, so it's not what I thought.
What sort of blinking are you seeing exactly? When do they happen?

Neil Shepherd

Dec 16, 2013, 8:48:47 PM12/16/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
When I power cycle the IOIO just the red power light is on, the yellow status light stays off

When I plug in an Android phone (or even a USB memory stick) to the IOIO, the yellow status light starts blinking about once a second.  My Java app can't connect, neither can IOIO manager.

If I unplug the USB device (phone, USB stick) the yellow light keeps flashing thereafter.

If there's any reset/fix option, I'd love to know what i can try.

Thanks,
Neil

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 16, 2013, 11:33:44 PM12/16/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like the IOIO is in a reboot loop of some sort, possibly due to firmware corruption. Have you tried an upgrade recently? Do you have access to an Android version <4.1, so you can attempt a firmware update using IOIOManager?

Neil Shepherd

Dec 17, 2013, 2:05:25 AM12/17/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I've a 2.3.4 Gingerbread phone that's acting as the brain.  However, I couldn't even get IOIOManager to connect with the IOIO board while it was in this state.

This one is bizarre.  Tonight I got the yellow blinking behavior for 1-2 minutes, but when I accidentally left it on and came back to it 15-20 minutes later it was working normally, and it's done so again on a few reboots.  However, I also now get the error "the power adapter you connected is not compatible.  To avoid damaging your phone, please disconnect it now…." - That's a new one too.  I'm driving the IOIO board with 6x AA Lithium batteries, which usually give ~7.5-8.0volts at the board after a polarity protection diode, and haven't had any problems in >>30 hours of testing before.

The only thing I can think of that might have hurt it is that I did a test a week back where the android and IOIO board reached 55-60 celsius before i pulled the plug (oops).  The IOIO worked OK immediately after that until two days ago.  The best hypothesis I have is that the high temperature messed up the non-volatile memory, and now the IOIO board needs to warm up before its bits are in the right order.  Best I've got anyway.

I've ordered another board already just to be safe, as I can't afford this to go blinky at the wrong moment.  Would love your thoughts on what might have happened here.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 17, 2013, 11:39:44 AM12/17/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
It might also be a power problem. Try connecting to a stable wall-wart supply and see if this persists.

Márcio Guedes

May 12, 2015, 10:08:47 AM5/12/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
hi Ytai,

I Have a ioio V1 Board bought on Jaycon Systems. It says expected App-IOIO0200, and when i load and choose that app, on IOIO Manager it stills with the same message on red. i cant use the board.

Any suggestions?

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

May 13, 2015, 8:57:04 PM5/13/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
What is the current bootloader / application firmware versions you have on the board? Hint: if you look at the logs left by any IOIO app if will show that.
Also: have you carefully read the IOIO Manager wiki page?

Alex Baratti

Jun 26, 2016, 10:40:30 AM6/26/16
to ioio-users
Thank you so much for this post. Our robot stopped working mid-competition due to a IOIO connection problem. This had never happened before. In a stroke of luck, my partner found this post. We did this in the 5 minutes leading up to our turn and it started working. Thanks again from Team Rylex 7!