IOIO V1 Firmware update issues

Andreas Krienke

Feb 5, 2015, 1:40:38 PM2/5/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi IOIO friends ;-)

I am really new to the IOIO topic, got my V1 board and loaded the example projects into eclipse and onto my old phone (2.3.7). Running the HelloWorld and activating the yellow LED via button works! Great. Now I have seen that I should update my firmware in order to use the updated libs in my project.
Here the trouble starts :-( I used the IOIO Manager App, download all images via barcode scan and tried to upgrade the firmware. Therefor I modified the HelloWorld app to show me the current version from my board with:

try {

 textView_
.setText(String.format("%s\n" +

"IOIOLib: %s\n" +

"Application firmware: %s\n" +

"Bootloader firmware: %s\n" +

"Hardware: %s",

 title
,

 ioio
.getImplVersion(VersionType.IOIOLIB_VER),

 ioio
.getImplVersion(VersionType.APP_FIRMWARE_VER),

 ioio
.getImplVersion(VersionType.BOOTLOADER_VER),

 ioio
.getImplVersion(VersionType.HARDWARE_VER)));

} catch (ConnectionLostException e) {

// TODO Auto-generated catch block

.printStackTrace();

}

which displayed:

IOIOLib: IOIO0100

Application firmware: IOIO0100

Bootlader firmware: IOIO0100

Hardware: SPRK0015

In IOIO Manager I selected "App-IOIO0200" and connected to my ioio board which seemed to work.

Now my app shows:

IOIOLib: IOIO0100

Application firmware: IOIO0200

Bootlader firmware: IOIO0100

Hardware: SPRK0015

But every other firmware I have tried did nothing. I also powered off the ioio each time before connecting to my phone in order to run the bootloader. I tried "App-IOIO0330" and "App-IOIO0500" which I downloaded via barcode from the wiki page.

So am I doing something completely wrong? From the other posts here I understand that V1 could also be upgraded to latest firmware! Would be happy if you can help me out!

Thx, Andreas

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 5, 2015, 5:58:42 PM2/5/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
You happen to be one of the select few that have the most ancient version of the bootloader, the one that has been later found to be broken:

In short, you'd (temporarily) need a second IOIO or a PIC programmer to upgrade your bootloader, then you can proceed to upgrading your app.
I want to emphasize that this problem only exists with this particular, original version of the bootloader. Since then (almost 4 years ago) a bootloader upgrade has not been needed for an application-level upgrade.

Thanks for being one of the early adopters!!!