application + custom firmware on PIC

Lumi

Jan 29, 2016, 10:59:19 AM1/29/16
to ioio-users
Dear all,

I am new to ioio-otg, I would like to get your advice on one thing.

I would like to read analog input (light sensor) and depending on the voltage level I would like to trigger an digital output. It seems to be possible to do that with JAVA API and  all these can be done with an android app.

However, having this computation on the phone in java environment results in delay (delay between sensing analog input and triggering digital output). Therefore, I would like to do this task on PIC.

In order to achieve this, I need to dive into pic programming. Things are very well explained in this page:https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/IOIO-Developer-Getting-Started-Guide

My questions are the following:

1.  I would like to write a piece of code that continuously listens analog input and when a certain voltage level is detected it triggers digital output. Is this theoretically possible to program within PIC ?

2. I also would like to make use of the firmware that sits in PIC of the ioio-otg (which is explained in this page: https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/IOIO-FW-and-Theory-of-operation) to communicate with my android application to do some other tasks. Would it be possible to bundle both firmware into PIC (application firmware + my custom firmware ) ?

3. Do we know how much of the programmer memory of the PIC is occupied by application firmware  ? I am asking this because I would like know how much space I have in program memory for my custom firmware.

I would appreciate if I can get some answers to above questions.

Thank you in advance,
All the bests,
Lumi

Lumi

Feb 1, 2016, 8:26:41 AM2/1/16
to ioio-users
Hello,

Last Friday, I wrote the message below, any comment is very welcome.

Thanks.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 1, 2016, 5:56:12 PM2/1/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for being late to respond.
1. Yes (for some definition of "continuously", since there'll always be some small delay). You can do it either using the ADC or the comparator peripheral.
2. You won't be running two programs at the same time, but rather make a change to the standard firmware to add your functionality.
3. Don't have the exact numbers, but there's plenty of headroom, much more than you'd need for what you're describing.

Lastly, what kind of latency are you willing to tolerate?

Lumi

Feb 3, 2016, 4:51:27 AM2/3/16
to ioio-users
Hi Ytai,

Thank you for your answers.

Regarding the latency, I am still doing some investigation. I will comment on this post later when I have exact numbers.

All the bests.