Windows 8 ioio installation problems

doron atuar

Dec 5, 2013, 4:12:06 AM12/5/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i'm having some trouble making windows 8 recognize my ioio board.

i followed the manual and downloaded the ioio.inf driver
i connected the board to my PC but the connection was not recognized automatically
i tried installing manually through entering device manager and adding the ioio manually (ioio was not detected through new device auto-scan) \
but i get a code 10 error saying that the device cannot start.

Best regards,
Doron

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Dec 5, 2013, 11:59:25 AM12/5/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
What about in bootloader mode? Does the PC detect it correctly in this case?

xelhion

Dec 31, 2013, 10:40:21 AM12/31/13
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I just found what you might be missing, I also missed this part. https://github.com/ytai/ioio/wiki/IOIO-OTG-Bootloader-and-IOIODude#the-boot-pin-and-boot-sequence

Thanks to Ytai for pointing out the bootloader mode i got it working on win8(32bit).

Daniel Buchanan

Feb 9, 2015, 11:41:51 PM2/9/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

We have a IOIO board that is physically in a device, is there a way to get windows to recognise it without putting it into bootloader mode?

At present when I power the box on, it does not even show up as an unknown device. I can install the driver, but I get the following as the reason it cannot start:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.

I'm not sure where to go from here? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I am running Windows 8.1 x64 if that makes any difference.

Kind Regards,
Daniel.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Feb 9, 2015, 11:45:40 PM2/9/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Is this specific to windows 8? Does this IOIO work with other OS?

Thanos Fisherman

Feb 10, 2015, 10:30:17 AM2/10/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Have you tweaked windows 8 to accept non signed drivers?

Daniel Buchanan

Feb 10, 2015, 2:53:12 PM2/10/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
I have not had a chance to test with another OS as at present the only machine I have access to is a Windows 8 machine.

I have re-booted and enabled the installation of unsigned drivers.

I can install the driver, however I get the Code 10 error (The specified request is not a valid operation for the target device.)
I am not sure whether this means it cannot see a USB device that matches or something to that effect or whether it is something else?

Daniel Buchanan

Apr 6, 2015, 11:51:49 PM4/6/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com, gerar...@gmail.com
I have now had a chance to test using the boot pin sequence, on both a windows 7 machine and a Raspberry Pi.

When started in boot mode (boot pin grounded and then un-grounded) it is enumerated by both the Windows 7 machine and the Raspberry Pi.
However this is where things start to get a bit weird.

We get the following log output from the IOIO Lib (When running HelloIOIO):

[D/IOIOConnectionRegistry] Successfully added bootstrap class: ioio.lib.pc.SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap
[W/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] ioio.SerialPorts not defined.
Will attempt to enumerate all possible ports (slow) and connect to a IOIO over each one.
To fix, add the -Dioio.SerialPorts=xyz argument to the java command line, where xyz is a colon-separated list of port identifiers, e.g. COM1:COM2.
[W/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Serial port COM13 cannot be opened. Not adding.
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM14
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM18
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM7
[W/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Serial port COM8 cannot be opened. Not adding.
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM14
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM18
[D/SerialPortIOIOConnectionBootstrap] Adding serial port COM7
[D/IOIOImpl] Waiting for IOIO connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for underlying connection
[D/IOIOImpl] Waiting for IOIO connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for underlying connection
[D/IOIOImpl] Waiting for IOIO connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for underlying connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for handshake
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for handshake
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for handshake
[D/IOIOImpl] Physical disconnect.
[D/IOIOImpl] Connection lost / aborted
[D/IOIOImpl] Waiting for IOIO connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for underlying connection
[V/IOIOImpl] Waiting for handshake
[D/IOIOImpl] Physical disconnect.
[D/IOIOImpl] Connection lost / aborted

Not sure what the issue is here, possibly the cable?

The other strange thing is that unless we ground the boot pin (and then un-ground it) at power up, neither Windows 7 nor the Raspberry Pi can see the IOIO at all.
Is this correct?

Kind Regards,
Daniel.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Apr 7, 2015, 12:34:01 AM4/7/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com, gerar...@gmail.com

1. The IOIO apps, such as HelloIOIO are not intended to work against the IOIO bootloader but rather against the normal app firmware.
2. If the IOIO doesn't enumerate don't bother moving on.
3. When you do get it working, I strongly recommend that you use the -Dioio.SerialPorts argument as the log message suggested you.
4. Try a configuration wipe and/or connecting to a different USB port. At least on Windows I've seen this making a difference. Windows is weird.

Daniel Buchanan

Apr 7, 2015, 12:45:24 AM4/7/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com, gerar...@gmail.com
Thanks for that Ytai!

Turns out it was the cables we were using all along! What a pain.