ioio for 220 volts applications (industrial point of view)

Sajad Vafa

Jun 7, 2015, 9:58:48 PM6/7/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there.
I searched in youtube, read the book "OReilly Making Android Accessories with IOIO (2012)" and searched here.
No trace of 220 volts applications.

I want to build a smart device to be used for 220 volt devices (turn on/off the lamps, motors, etc.).
For example a smart house or a smart farm.

Most of industrial devices are in the range of 220 volts. Can anyone help me with this or give me a hint?
Thanks.

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Jun 7, 2015, 10:06:53 PM6/7/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

You need to use a device called "relay", which is essentially a (low) voltage controlled switch.
You're question indicates that you don't have a lot of experience with electricity, so I would strongly advise against trying to mess with high voltage yourself. I would imagine there should be relays available that have some standards outlets for the high voltage stuff and an isolated port for the low voltage control.

pa...@justwatersaversusa.com

Jun 8, 2015, 5:11:45 PM6/8/15
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Pretty simple, just run switching relays. We use a mix of 5v double pole single throw and double pole double throw. You should drive these via a transistor circuit where 3.3v is turning on the 5v powered relay.

If this is a commercial product, I suggest providing terminals for  all power in and power out e.g. active neutral and gnd. Take care with trace widths and separation from themselves (flash over) and also chip level interference.

At the moment we have 21 relays hooked up. Take care when initializing relays to do so only at one time, or init them into the normal state. Init'ing all relays to on for even a split second will draw too much current on the board and cause a ioio reset. Fun to watch, and quite noisy when that happens.

Paul James