Can I jump 3.3v pin directly to input pin?

David Messem

Nov 15, 2016, 12:24:21 PM11/15/16
to ioio-users
Hi IOIO users!

Apologies if this is a silly question, I am an electronics noob, and I am worried about damaging the board.

Can I jump a 3.3v pin directly to an input pin?
I want to send 3.3v to a relay, then send back the 3.3v into a pin when the relay is triggered.

Thanks!

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Nov 15, 2016, 3:16:51 PM11/15/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah sure, all pins can handle 0..3.3V (and some up to 5V).
What you're describing sounds a bit strange, but maybe only because I don't fully understand what you're trying to do.

David Messem

Nov 16, 2016, 1:18:03 AM11/16/16
to ioio-users
I have another device with a relay, and I want to use the IOIO to sense the state of that relay.

I thought I would connect the input of the relay to the 3.3v pin, and connect the output of the relay to a GPIO pin.
I this way, the GPIO pin will read 0v when the relay is open, and 3.3v when the relay is closed.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM, David Messem <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi IOIO users!

Apologies if this is a silly question, I am an electronics noob, and I am worried about damaging the board.

Can I jump a 3.3v pin directly to an input pin?
I want to send 3.3v to a relay, then send back the 3.3v into a pin when the relay is triggered.

Thanks!

Ytai Ben-Tsvi

Nov 19, 2016, 1:17:53 PM11/19/16
to ioio-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that should work fine, as long as you remember to use a pull down resistor on the pin (either internal or external) to assert a valid 'low' condition when the relay is open.
Another way to accomplish the same thing, which is probably what I would do, is to have the relay pull to GND while using a pull UP on the pin. It doesn't really matter.